12v Hookah Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys free dive beyond 10 feet, heck pools are deeper, I guess I dont see the issue. Seems alittle overblown...

I don't think your point is valid, 50-100 people die free diving every year. It can be dangerous when you push the limits and are ignorant of the dangers.

at 10 feet, come on now.

A hooka is not compressed air.
Seriously? What, exactly, does the air compressor used in a hookah rig do then? :shakehead:

at 10 feet, come on now.
You're not a certified SCUBA diver are you? 'Cause if you were, you'd know just how idiotic that statement you just made was. In fact, both statements were pretty idiotic.

The OP asked a simple question, but this thread has become a bunch of purists jumping all over a guy diving in pool limit water. I'm just waiting for someone to tell him he needs a C card for hookah diving too.

Sheesh, talk about idiotic...

OP are you familiar with the fact that if you breathed compressed air at 10 ft, then ascended rapidly while holding your breath, you could suffer an air embolism which could cause an air plug which would stop bloodflow to your brain and give you a stroke? People don't usually survive strokes or heart attacks underwater either.

This is the most basic part of risk with SCUBA. It all builds on that.

Simply put : IF YOU HOLD YOUR BREATH ON COMPRESSED AIR, YOU WILL BE INJURED OR DEAD

This is just one of the many risks. I encourage you to pursue proper training in a controlled setting.

But, it's your body. Do what you please with it.

The OP asked a simple question, but this thread has become a bunch of purists jumping all over a guy diving in pool limit water. I'm just waiting for someone to tell him he needs a C card for hookah diving too.
The OP should get certified, if only for the safety education. Your (and his) cavalier attitude about the potential dangers of diving (to any depth) on compressed air are fairly shocking. In fact, he will probably be required by the hookah seller to confirm that he is certified. He will, of course, lie about that in order to buy the hookah.

Sheesh, talk about idiotic...

Jeff, I understand you think we are a bunch of Dive Nazis who have run away with a simple question and maybe to some extent that is true.

However, if you read enough post you will see new divers or non-divers start with a simple question (which we should answer) but also implicates they are into a situation that could be dangerous. If we fail to at least give him a decent heads up to the dangers and he gets hurt we share some moral responsibility for standing by and saying nothing.

If you look carefully at the post, you will find he thought that of he needed to go deeper, he would get an "air bag" or something to help with buoyancy. Later he disclosed he will be gold dredging in a river. Right there you have strong currents and very cold water (requiring at least a wetsuit and weights) which takes this well beyond a dip in a swimming pool. He will probably be solo and no surface tender. Not to mention gold fever which reduces the IQ by 50% (ever watch the discovery channel, its living proof of this).

Best Regards, Doug

Thanks Jeff for giving a dose of reality to this conversation. Youre seeing here what you see on alot of internet boards, a new person asks a question, one guy says something then a bunch of followers pile on the "noob", kind of shows the maturity of people in general. Yes there is some danger, theres some danger diving at the YMCA, but this isnt one mans quest to reach the bottom of the sea. I think theres just some jealousy Im going to have a perfectly good time with my $500 Hookah setup. :)

So you don't like the advice given, and dismiss it as "immature"?

I think immature advice would be to encourage you to try it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom