12ltr vs 15ltr.Which tank should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a 15L and sold it to make way for twin 12L's.
You must also take ito account what tank your buddy uses and what their SAC rate is commared to yours. No point having a bigger tank if they have a smaller tank and a larger SAC or vice versa. Unless they have 2 10L tanks and you can make do with 1 15L for both dives.
For my single tank dives I now use 13.6L tanks and they last me longer than my buddys 15L.
The shape of the tank may also have some bearing on your decision. 15's are short and fat while 12's are usally taller and thinner. (you can get shorter fat ones too but no good for doubles).

If that didnt help just buy a 15L

The reason I want to get a 15ltr tank is to have more air,as I use air heebs quickly.I dont have a regular buddy yet,as I'm new to the area and dive club I'm diving with,but I've been diving at new place with experienced divers,who've been doing it for years and they consume heebs less air as I do.

the other thing...at dive shops they fill 15ltr tanks with same pressure as they fill 12ltr ones?

keep in mind that the bigger the tank, the more effort it takes to "push it" through the water ...

i guess that's not really a problem with a single tank ... it adds up with doubles

if you want the larger tank, go for it

as for fill pressure, tanks can be rated for different pressures .... for example, here in the States you can get a low pressure 100 cf tank that is filled to 2640 psi or a high pressure 100 that is filled to 3442 psi

but filled to their rated pressure, they will hold the same volume of gas (i.e. 100 cf)

Packhorse:
Im sure the 12's and 15's Advokat is talking about will be fabers rated at 232 bar. We dont really get into the LP vs HP tanks in NZ and OZ.

ah, in that case, yeah ... both tanks will be filled to their rated pressure, but the bigger one will hold more gas

:wink:

some shops here charge a flat rate, some charge per cubic foot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom