$1255 Sodasorb: The Ecuador nightmare continues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teksimple

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
On Friday, I heard that my Sodasorb had finally arrived in Guayaquil, Ecuador, after taking more than a month to arrive via airmail. All I needed to do was fax a copy of my passport with a letter of authorization (in Spanish) to release the Sodasorb to Ecoventura, the operator of the dive vessel Sky Dancer. Oh, and pay $10.00 handling fee. OK, so it would be a grand total of $655 for those three kegs. I had already paid the money, so I had basically resigned myself to the cost.

Recall my previous thread:

$450 to ship 3 Sodasorb kegs to Ecuador!

Today, I get this e-mail from Ecoventura saying that the customs officers want an additional $600 to release my Sodasorb.

$600!!

Holy crap! What kind of corrupt country is this? Now my Sodasorb will have cost me $1255. I lost it this morning at work. I swore in front of my coworkers and everything. There is no way I am going to contribute to corruption like this. I could have bought a first class ticket for my Sodasorb and served it champagne all the way to the Galapagos, for that price. Those Ecuadorian Customs pigs can shove that powder up where the sun does not shine. I will just have to bring it with me in my baggage, on top of my Mk 15.5 and cameras and lights. Infuriating!!!

my god this thing is turning into a nightmare.. First off i would find out if that stuff was really sent via airmail-- i mean a month for airmail--comon!.. If it wasnt sent airmail i would have your sorb place refund you the cost of shipping it air when they really shipped it snail mail and kept the money... Also i would contact some sort of shipping compnay that deals with that area of the world== maybe they can help you out and might have a contact or two that can help you out.. I sooo feel for you on this one!!!!!!!!!!!

ps/.. what is the 600$ fee for-- or what is it that they are saying its for?-- I mean a 600$ tax on 300$ worth of sorb?== lol those people are nuts-- and i agree when they are done kissing your area with no sun they can start in on kissing mine --lol Now im pissed too--lol goodluck with this

I would probably call the darn trip to that banana republic and dive in the civilized part of the world rather than throw any more money their way. Besides, do you really want to take a MK15.5 past those uniformed bandits?

Stefan -

I really thought about it cancelling the trip. Except I have put maybe $40k in already if you add my CCR, training, cameras, lights, and misc. My girlfriend has paid quite a bit as well. I really am not going to give those customs guys my money. I will take 4 kegs with me and pay whatever in excess baggage fees. I would just like to see those Ecuadorian pigs try to sell Sodasorb on the street in Guayaquil.

FYI, I am staging my Galapagos trip in Monterey in July. Swimming laps in Saddam's pool here in Baghdad just doesn't prepare me for a place like the Galapagos, so I will do a bit of diving in Cali beforehand. I am really looking forward to diving the kelp forest again...it has been years.

I'm starting to think we should have taken Equador instead of Iraq. :wink:

Thats insane

Tell me this isn't corruption? When the U.S. consulate calls, all of a sudden the price has dropped a few hundred dollars. That's much better...

Dear Mr. Backman:

Thank you for your correspondence. Although we cannot act as a legal representative on your behalf, we have contacted the post office where your shipment is being held. An employee at the post office explained the tax procedure for shipments such as yours which includes a 35% tax on the combined value of the contents and the cost of shipping. In addition, 12% value added tax is charged to that total, plus a storage fee of $.05 daily, which is currently $10.00 for you. The total amount required to receive your items, according to the employee we spoke to is $271.00 which, according to the post office, must be paid at the Banco Bolivariano. The bank will provide a reciept to present at the post office to receive your shipment. We recommend that you request a written explanation of all charges or an itemized bill from the post office.
If you need legal representation in Ecuador, we have provided a list of local lawyers who are believed to be qualified to perform legal services on behalf of U.S. citizens. The Consulate, however, assumes no responsibility for the professional ability or integrity of the person or firms on the list. Please let us know if you continue to have problems receiving your property.

Sincerely,

American Citizen Services

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday April 05, 2005 9:53 AM
To: acsguayaquil@state.gov
Subject: corruption at Ecuador Customs service Guayaquil?

Dear Guayaquil Consulate services -

I am concerned that I have found myself involved in a case of fraud/corruption involving--apparently--the Ecuadorian customs in Guayaquil.

I purchased some gas absorbent for a dive trip to the Galapagos ($195 value, see attached document) and had it shipped via US Air Mail to Ecoventura in Guayaquil, who is a reputable company. Ecoventura reported that Customs required that they pay $10.00, and that I must fax a copy of my passport to release the items (as it was apparently addressed to my name).

Now Ecuador Guayaquil Customs finds out that I am an American citizen and they demand that I pay $600 to "clear up the paperwork". Having traveled considerably in Latin America, I realize that a few dollars passed around makes things work smoother. But $600? When they originally claimed $10?

I am quite certain this is fraudulent activity that is beyond the normal bounds of any Customs service, even for Ecuador. Is there any way you can assist me with this? I absolutely refuse to cater to corruption, and paying a total of $1255 (with shipping and this extra "paperwork" charge) for something that cost me less than $200 should definitely be considered catering to corruption.

Thanks very much for any assistance you may offer.

Kent Backman

Back
Top Bottom