11 years of turtle watching and I still see new things!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
Caution! This post could be potentially offensive to some readers!

I've been watching green sea turtles here in Maui for the last eleven years. I love the turtles, they're just so cool. I've seen them do everything (I thought!). I've seen them mate, sleep, eat, battle, escape from a shark, swim, poop, you name it. I thought I'd seen it all. Well, a couple of days ago I saw one do something I'd never seen before. It cracked me up and I want to know if anyone else has been witness to this. What was it you ask? Well, let me tell you...

I was diving Five Caves and heading back towards shore. We were in about 30 feet of water and visibility was great at 60+ feet or so. Suddenly a medium sized female cruised by us and it was no big deal as we had already seen a half dozen others on this dive. This time it was different though. Something strange happened as she passed us...I saw bubbles, lots of them, big ones too. But these weren't from her nostrils though like I'd seen so many times before. These were from the other end!! Yep! You guessed it! She farted right in front of us! First time I'd ever seen that! I never even knew turtles could fart! (I guess it's something that just never crossed my mind.) Being underwater meant we actually could see it happen! There was no sneaking this one by us! Das nuts! We looked at each other and laughed so hard! Glad we had our masks on!

Anyone else ever see somethng like this before?? That's why I love diving and I keep going back. You just never know what will happen next! Even crazy, wacky stuff like this! LOL!

This brought up the proverbial question: "If a turtle farts underwater and there's no one there to smell it, does it still stink?" Ha!:rofl3:

I've been able to adjust my buoyancy much more efficiently after eating at Taco Bell.

what? no footage?...:rofl:

Yeah, it's killing me that I didn't get the shot. I usually shoot video of turtles when they swim by that close but Michael and I had already seen so many over the last couple of days of diving that I just didn't bother picking up the camera this time. (One of those missed opportunities that may take years to have again!)

When it happened I was reeling in my flag a little, taking up slack as we were approaching a shallow ridge to swim over (if there's too much line out I can get snagged in that area) so my hands were full already. Bummer...

Oh well, you just have to take my word for it and keep your eyes peeled (and your mask in place) for it could happen to you one of these dives! I know the "look" she had on her face now so I will be a little more prepared next time it's getting ready to happen!:D

I was privy to a turtle 4some my last time out in Maui. Pauline with Mike Severns got a great picture of the situation, but Ill give the description first

At 5 Graves, we are watching a bunch of Turtles hang out. Then one comes down from the surface and lands right on another. Pre dive, we had been told this happens sometimes as they like to steal the other ones spot. No biggie right?

Well the one who had been landed on took offence to it and took off. Only the one who landed on the other stuck with it. What did we have? A Male had come and landed on a female in a rather forceful attempt to mate. He latched on with his front fins while the female kept her legs closed and started doing summersaults backwards trying to buck him off. 4 or 5 summersaults later the two were still latched together doing flips.

Then the crazier bit. 2 other males took off from the bottom and raced in to the couple doing summersaults. The smashed at the pair trying to knock the male off her back. A few more summersaults later, he was eventually smacked off and the female took off for the surface with her back legs shut. The 3 males just settled down and acted like nothing happened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom