10W HID wouldn't strike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I did a New Year's day dive, and as I was descending, I realized that my OMS 10W HID didn't strike when I flipped the switch. I toggled the switch and still no light. I did my dive and the light was the least of my worries.

When I got home, I tried to figure out what went wrong. I tried striking and still no light. There was no water in the cannister. I then checked the battery connection in case I forgot to connect it. Still connected. I disconnected and then reconnected the battery and then the light struck when I tried the switch.

I figure it's either a bad battery connector or a failing switch. The connector looked like it was plugged in and seated properly, but I didn't push it and then test the light. I did try to strike the light several times, so I'm hoping that I just didn't seat the connector properly. Does anyone have any insight about this?

My guess would be a shorted or broken wire (probably near a strain point). I've had this exact problem and changing the wire fixed it.

Another manufacturer had issues with their 10W HID. It involved the ballast. But OMS's problem would not be related, I'm sure.

Check the solder joints on the connectors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom