10w helios owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lundysd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have a specific question for yall; I just acquired a 10w helios that has the customary 3 plug connection between the charger, battery, and canister lid. My lid, however, only has 2 connections present -- the 3rd wire is there, but it isn't connected. Is this normal for the 10w lights (4.5 or 9), or is my light messed up? Thanks

Scott

lundysd:
I have a specific question for yall; I just acquired a 10w helios that has the customary 3 plug connection between the charger, battery, and canister lid. My lid, however, only has 2 connections present -- the 3rd wire is there, but it isn't connected. Is this normal for the 10w lights (4.5 or 9), or is my light messed up? Thanks

Scott

Its not used when running the light.

Your charger should have a three wire set up, the light head / lid only has two - usually red and black (or black & white).

Is the light working OK?

---
Ken

Everything works fine -- I just thought it was weird that there's 3 wires in the light itself, but one is cut off before the canister connection. Thanks Ken

lundysd:
Everything works fine -- I just thought it was weird that there's 3 wires in the light itself, but one is cut off before the canister connection. Thanks Ken

Two wires on the lid. That's how it should be.

Ken

lundysd:

Scott

Scott,

As Ken said the third green connector is required for charging only. The green wire connects to a "thermistor" which is a type of resistor that changes resistance as it's temperature changes.

If you continue to charge a Ni-Cad or Nimh battery after it reaches full charge, the additional energy is not stored in the battery, but is converted to heat. This can damage the battery. Chargers most often use voltage feedback to determine when to terminate the charge, but the thermistor provides a secondary means for the charger to determine if the battery has reached ful charge, and terminate the charge.

In other words the thermistor is a "safety" backup method of stopping the charger. It is not used when discharging the battery.

The thermistor is wired between the green wire and the black.

Regards,

Tobin

Yes the connection on the canister is only 2 prongs. I don't know why. How long have you had this Helios? I have a Helios and a Pro 6 that we bought in about July or August of last year. They have the "new" 10 Watt heads.Halcyon has had them more than I have had them. There is a group of us that own 8 Helios or Pro 6's and they have all flooded at least three times, and some of them flooded the first dive back from Halcyon after they supposedly fixed the problem. Now remember it takes at least 3 weeks to get a light back when you send it to Halcyon. They have not paid for any overnight freight to expedite getting the lights back to us. They have not offered any upgrades or even apologies. They finally gave us brand new lights guaranteed not to flood. 15 dives later the Pro 6 flooded the battery cannister lid throught the switch port! My friends Helios Just flooded the light head that has about 30 dives on it and was guaranteed to be fixed. We are now all awaiting the other 7 lights to flood again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom