10th Anniversary of Death of Tina Watson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clownfishsydney

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Today, 22 October 2013, is the 10th anniversary of the death of Tina Watson (Tina Thomas) when diving the wreck of SS Yongala off Townsville, Queensland, Australia, with her husband Gabe Watson on their honeymoon.

I feel for her mother and and father, Cindy and Tommy, as well as her sister who have never accepted that this was a tragic accident and not murder like they believe.

I anguish that Gabe and his family had to go through the tribulations that they did and that Gabe spent time in gaol for Tina's death when he was not the person responsible for Tina's death. I am also disappointed in myself that I did not get involved in the matter before I did as I believe I could have helped stop him serving time at all.

I am angry that the incompetent Queensland Police, under pressure from Tina's family, decided early on that Gabe was guilty of murder and ignored all the evidence that showed that this was purely an accident. I am angry that the person who bore most responsibility for Tina's death has not only got off scot free, he is hailed as a hero by Tina's family. I am angry that the police were given awards for their "good" work in the investigation. I am angry that an Alabama Attorney General charged Gabe with murder to help his re-election. I am angry that Gabe and his family had to spend over $500,000 defending Gabe when this was an accident. I am angry that Gabe's fine parents, Dave and Glenda, had to put off their retirement for almost 10 years so that they could help their son prove his innocence.

I am sad that this could have also happened to friends who have been with divers who died if the person who died family was vindictive.

I am happy that a competent trial judge in Birmingham, Alabama, saw that the prosecution's case was so poor he aquitted Gabe of murder. I am happy that Dave and Glenda are almost retired from work. I am happy that Gabe and his wife Kim are soon to move into a new house and will shortly have the joy of a baby. I am happy that Gabe found wonderful lawyers like Brett Bloomston, Joe Basgier and Michael Hanle to defend him in Alabama. They truely believed in Gabe's innocence.

Finally, I am happy that I will never let this happen to anyone else, I will involve myself in investiagting any similar death wherever possible so that no-one has to go through something like this again.

For more information on the Tina Watson death, see my web site Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom