105 or 60

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John,

Why don't you come down and dive with us in Libya? It is nice and safe here and only
a short flight or you :)

Interesting! I've never heard of anyone going to Libya for a diving holiday. On the whole, diving in the Med canot compete with the Red Sea unless you are a wreck fanatic, in which case Malta is a Mecca, of course. Still, I look forward to more info' and seeing some pics. Perhaps we are all missing something.

Something that has not been mentioned yet: The 105mm will allow for an easy supermacro upgrade with a wet diopter while the 60mm will end up focusing too close to gain much advantage for getting greater than 1:1 (unless you are shooting nudis with a ring flash).

I shot these Mantis Shrimp with a 60mm, and actually could have gotten closer but was also trying to position a snoot correctly. Note: They are cropped a little and processed since they were shot in RAW. The first two were shot in Anilao and the third was on the Liberty Wreck in Bali.

IMG_3712.jpgIMG_3714.jpgIMG_9846.jpg

Agree with others that if only one, I'd stick with the 60. Others are saying that they find the 105 as easy to use as the 60, but I don't find that to be true for me. The 60 w/port is more compact - easier to lug around - and my D90 finds focus much easier. That said, I find myself using the 105 more and more as I seek out smaller and smaller critters. A +10 external diopter works more magic on a 105 - hardly worth using on the 60.

I have the 60 and really wish I had the 105 for tigher macro shots.

The 60 is nice for fish portraits.

I have a Nikon D5100 and am looking to outfit the camera for UW duty. I have followed this and other threads, read the UW photography guide site, and would like to get feedback from folks here on the following:
- what about the Sigma 105mm vs. the Nikon 105?
- the newer Nikon 85mm looks intriguing for the price (albeit a f/3.5 lens)
- feedback on the Tamron 90mm f/2.8? it seems to sell for about 1/2 the cost of the Nikonj 105mm

I have a Nikon D5100 and am looking to outfit the camera for UW duty. I have followed this and other threads, read the UW photography guide site, and would like to get feedback from folks here on the following:
- what about the Sigma 105mm vs. the Nikon 105?
- the newer Nikon 85mm looks intriguing for the price (albeit a f/3.5 lens)
- feedback on the Tamron 90mm f/2.8? it seems to sell for about 1/2 the cost of the Nikonj 105mm

What's the point of putting cut-rate $10 Chinese tires on a $100,000 Porsche?

A Sigma or Tamaron lens on a Nikon? Really?

Doc, I appreciate your point. But, as we all know, the cost of pulling together a complete UW set adds up - fast. And some of the new Sigma and Tamron lenses have gotten very high marks, If I can get quality and save some cash, that cash can then be used for other stuff...

Understand. My Nikon dive camera is worth more than my car.

An expensive dive camera and an expensive divorce, what do they have in common?

They're both worth it! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom