100' vs 130'??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Ratio DC, iX3M Tech+, allows me to customize the alarms and set some off while keeping others on, vibrate or audio or a combination of on/off for some scenarios not others.

No AUDIBLE alarms on Shearwater computers. The flashing warnings are pretty damn obvious, though.

Like the big red letters that say Deco Stop when one stays just a fraction to long, too deep? In 146 dives, my Peregrine has given me that warning once. Fortunately, once I hit 40', it went back to a 5 min safety stop. I did not panic when it 1st showed me that though, as I pack a 30cu pony and thought to myself, OK, I should have enough air with me to cover that.

Like the big red letters that say Deco Stop when one stays just a fraction to long, too deep? In 146 dives, my Peregrine has given me that warning once. Fortunately, once I hit 40', it went back to a 5 min safety stop. I did not panic when it 1st showed me that though, as I pack a 30cu pony and thought to myself, OK, I should have enough air with me to cover that.

The good news about those is they don't 'lock up' like some dive computers as if it's having a "scweem and scweem and scweem until it is sick" hissy fit.

My Ratio DC, iX3M Tech+, allows me to customize the alarms and set some off while keeping others on, vibrate or audio or a combination of on/off for some scenarios not others.

Nice to know. This sounds very useful as it gives you some control over which "alarms" might actually be beneficial.

Know the tool that you are using.
DC lock up on me? NOT a chance.
Give me any RGBM computers and I can use it without any issue over multi dives/days.
I have to travel to dive, do not dive in our local water, and I could not remember if I ever saw even one foreign diver using a Shearwater!
There are so many alternatives at much lower cost.

Just to remember: no DC have ever declared that DCS is thing of the past.

DC lock up on me? NOT a chance. Give me any RGBM computers and I can use it without any issue over multi dives/days.
I have to travel to dive, do not dive in our local water, and I could not remember if I ever saw even one foreign diver using a Shearwater! There are so many alternatives at much lower cost. Just to remember: no DC have ever declared that DCS is thing of the past.

I've had dive buddies with RGBM computers that have gone into deco on their devices because they did not pay attention to them. My shearwater over multi dives multi days will give me longer times to NDL than RGBM computers and some divers have been locked out and then cannot dive.

You asked who cares about shearwaters and show disdain for people who use them. I care as I use one and a few of my regular dive buddies also use Shearwater so we all set our devices to the same GF factors. My Perdix is the best DC I have ever had and I love all the functions it has over other dive computers. Especially on night dives when I can always easily see my screen and others cannot see their DC's at all.

I am talking about MYSELF and have no control on others.
I have no problem to use any entry level computer on any recreational dive.
I only use 2 bottom timers and a pre-dive plan for trimix dive.

You can use whatever you want and none of my business and if other divers want to use the alarm then it is their choice.
My 24 years old Uwatec diver does not even have back light but it would not stop me from night dive!!!!! I just shine my torch to it. It is NOT rocket science.

Showed disdain to Shearwater users!!!!! In this thread I have only seen the other ways until I came in. You guys started it and found your kind of medicine does not taste good. It has been like this in SB over last few years!!!!

I assume you did not read the posts that explained things correctly before you posted this. Here is a quick summary for those who also skipped the informative posts.

1. Required limits are for instructional dives only.
2. PADI and SSI have instructional limits down to 40m for the appropriate dive classes
3. No agency has any authority to limit your depths when you are diving outside of instruction.
4. Local dive operations and governments have the authority to set diving limits.
5. The supposed limits of PADI and and SSI (and all others) are recommendations to guide divers as they gain experience. PADI and SSI recommendations extend to 40m.
6. Nearly all agencies limit recreational dive depths to 40m. After that, mandatory decompression stops are involved with most algorithms.

My Perdix does not have mandatory deco stop if I dive deeper than 40m. Only if I exceed NDL.
It does have MOD 57m on air though at PPO2 1.4

AIR MODE.jpg

No DC has ever declared anyone has DCS as far as I know. :)

DC lock up on me? NOT a chance.
Give me any RGBM computers and I can use it without any issue over multi dives/days.
I have to travel to dive, do not dive in our local water, and I could not remember if I ever saw even one foreign diver using a Shearwater!
There are so many alternatives at much lower cost.

Oh struth... Please don't say that you're actually recommending Suunto computers over Shearwaters. It's like little league over the New York Dandies (I don't do sport).

Suuntos: recreational toy computers with ridiculous conservative settings which lie about basic facts, are difficult to use (how many buttons with short/long combinations), lock up if you've dared to ignore it or change modes, and have proprietary decompression algorithms that keep you in the water too long. Batteries which will give up when you need them (their warning is that the battery's failed just before you dive). It won't let you change gasses until you're above the MOD (which is wrongly calculated), so have to go to 5m to switch to 100%.

Shearwaters: extremely reliable, usable and dependable dive computers used by most technical divers and the majority of rebreather manufacturers. A single AA battery available anywhere. Algorithms which are basically open-source so there's loads of planners. Extremely clear in the water and exceedingly easy user interface (vital if you're befuddled underwater). They have "tech" modes with more info and "rec" modes for simplicity. They don't lock up if something's gone wrong. They allow you to change GF-Hi if you're in the poo and need to get out quickly.

In other words, Shearwaters are designed by divers and work with you, whereas Suuntos seem to have been designed by people who don't dive and they spend their time working against you.

Shearwater dive computers are a bit like Apple's iPhone: when they came out in 2007 it was a breath of fresh air and a vision of the future, compared with the previous generations of phones, PDAs & Blackberries.

I'd had three different dive computers before I bought my first Perdix. Rented Suuntos early on which were only depth gauges and timers, had an XDeep Black (now there's an unreliable brick), and a Suunto D9tx ('cos I believed the hype and didn't know any different).

Needless to say the Perdix was an utter revelation; reliable, easy to use and just worked. Just like my iPhones.

Back
Top Bottom