100 vs 117

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crunchiespg

Contributor
Reaction score
Forgive my newbie questions.
I dive dry. In cold fresh water.
I weigh about 215lbs right now. (Will trim down a bit, recovering from surgery)

im looking to buy some steel tanks. Partially to extend time and also to cut down on lead as right now I was using 34lbs with rental equipment. My own gear fitting better should cut this down a little. Especially as I'm switching to a backplate and wing rather than jacket bcd and my new drysuit fits a lot better and has better thinner insulation.
So ive been offered a choice of two worthington hp100 or two Faber hp117 steel tanks. I know the 100 remain negative and the 117 empty are slightly positive.

But it I can't decide (don't have enough knowledge) which are better for me.
Obviously the 117 are nice for more air. But 100 nice for buoyancy characteristics.

So. Which to buy and why?
Thank you.

depends. Worthingtons aren't available anymore, and I think the Fabers are higher quality, but the buoyancy specs are nice. That said, for salt water I prefer the hot dipped Worthingtons/PST's as they are more durable. Pros and cons.

That also said, how tall are you? Your weight is irrelevant to this discussion, your height is.

That all being said, I'd go with the FX-133 if I was buying new tanks. They are not much taller or heavier than the 117's but carry a bit more gas. That also said, the Worthingtons are made in Canada so since you're from Calgary you'd be buying "local" ish, and the 100's are also significantly lighter than the 117 and 133's, by about 10lbs. If you're willing to carry the extra 10lbs, then the 133's would be a better choice if you can get them to switch from the 117's.

If you are limited to those two bottles, then the Worthington 100's all day, I never understood the 117/119 bottles, they're rather pointless because they are so heavy compared to the 100's, and basically the same weight as the 130/133's.

Thank you. Interesting points.
I'm about 5'9"-10". The weight I referenced mainly for explaining I have a fair bit of room to play with before worrying about being overweighted.
I'm not worried about the weight of the tanks really. I'm strong enough to lift any of them easily enough.

The 100vs 117 came about as someone offered me some.
The 130 does appeal as I live a little way away from any dive store to fill tanks. So having a couple of tanks that would do a good few dives would be nice. Most dive sites are hours rather than minutes from the dive stores.
I'm hoping to move to the coast in the next year or so. So salt water dives will be in my future.

Im hoping with more experience, better fitting dry suit and insulation, and a sleek backplate and wing set up I'll be using a lot less lead than the rental gear I used for open water certification. With our lovely warm 2 degree Celsius water last week air consumption was definitely on the high side.
the only issue I see with 130 tanks is they are above the size rating for my planned wing set up. I'm getting the Hollis s38lx which is rated for 15 litre tanks. The 130 are 17litres.

don't go by wing ratings based on tank size, it's complete crap. You have to make sure that you run a proper weighting scenario. FWIW I have used a 25lb wing successfully with 130's, no issue. Note that the 133's are the same negative buoyancy than the 117's, so there's that.

don't go by wing ratings based on tank size, it's complete crap. You have to make sure that you run a proper weighting scenario. FWIW I have used a 25lb wing successfully with 130's, no issue. Note that the 133's are the same negative buoyancy than the 117's, so there's that.

Ok. Thank you. Even though in an unintended consequence you have made me wonder if either of them are the choice for me then. Lol.
I don't mind the weight of the tank as heavy tank =less lead on my waist.
these will be for cold water use, either here or Victoria bc. So multiple dives per tank would be nice.

100's won't get you multiple dives if diving with guys in 80's. 130's will if your sac rate is decent. Single 130's are very common for shore diving in cold water due to cf/lb volumes making sense.

Heavy tank doesn't mean anything for lead.

i.e. Worthington 100 is 33.1lbs with -2.5lbs buoyant with valve
Worthington 130 is 44.7lbs but only about -2lbs buoyant with valve. Need an extra half pound of lead.

Faber 117 will need at least 1lb more ballast than the Worthington despite being 10lbs heavier.

For reference, for smaller tanks the 100's are great, especially for your height, they're a wonderful little tank, but if you're looking for gas volume, the 130's are about the same height, but give you almost 2x the gas of an AL80 which are 155cf total.

100's won't get you multiple dives if diving with guys in 80's. 130's will if your sac rate is decent. Single 130's are very common for shore diving in cold water due to cf/lb volumes making sense.

Heavy tank doesn't mean anything for lead.

i.e. Worthington 100 is 33.1lbs with -2.5lbs buoyant with valve
Worthington 130 is 44.7lbs but only about -2lbs buoyant with valve. Need an extra half pound of lead.

Faber 117 will need at least 1lb more ballast than the Worthington despite being 10lbs heavier.

For reference, for smaller tanks the 100's are great, especially for your height, they're a wonderful little tank, but if you're looking for gas volume, the 130's are about the same height, but give you almost 2x the gas of an AL80 which are 155cf total.
Yeh I meant extra weight vs aluminium tanks. But the actual handling of the tanks isn't a concern. Nor is the width. A lifetime of rugby has given me a strong back and shoulders.

Maybe the 130 is best then.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom