100 size tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was a bear getting my personal pair of 117s to Cozumel. I bought these cool little carts on amazon so I didnt have to carry them...

(There were only $23 at the time..)

And then I heard my name on the intercom in BWI when TSA freaked out a little. 'No pressure, those are dust caps. Feel free to screw them out and look, just put then back, thanks..."
The ONLY think I would not travel with is my tanks. That's Crazy!!!! But good for you.

The ONLY think I would not travel with is my tanks. That's Crazy!!!! But good for you.

I got a condo. it was a one way trip. See link below. I also bought special tank holders for the boat....

Wow. Yep. From Steel or Aluminum: Which is the Right Scuba Tank for You?.
  • "Steel tanks are lighter than aluminum tanks that hold the same volume of air because the tank walls are thinner."

And from SCUBA Cylinder Specifications – Huron Scuba, Snorkel & Adventure Travel Inc. PADI 5 star IDC in Ann Arbor, MI
  • 100 cf aluminum tanks, Empty weight, lbs (w/o valve): 40.86 to 46.1
  • 100 cf steel tanks, Empty weight, lbs (w/o valve): 23.94 to 24.12
Yeah, I grew up diving Steel 100's in South FLA. Great unit. I'd recommend a steel 100 to anyone. When I kit out my sailboat to sail around the world I'll have Steel 117's. To me, the best all around for size, volume and weight. Seems odd, but the walls are thinner.

I got a condo. it was a one way trip. See link below. I also bought special tank holders for the boat....
Ahhh, okay. Yeah, when I kit out my sailboat to sail around the world, I'll have steel 117's. I think they are best all around for weight, volume etc...

It was a bear getting my personal pair of 117s to Cozumel. I bought these cool little carts on amazon so I didnt have to carry them...

(There were only $23 at the time..)

And then I heard my name on the intercom in BWI when TSA freaked out a little. 'No pressure, those are dust caps. Feel free to screw them out and look, just put then back, thanks..."
I hauled in a set of LP95's this year. I find it nice that the fill shops fill everything to 3000#. But they are heavy slugs compared to an AL80. On the other hand, when full, they weigh about 2.5 lb more than the AL100's I have. The AL100's are about 91 ft3 at 3000#. The 95's are about 107 ft3 at 3000#. And you get to subtract 6 lb of lead from your weights. In comparison to an AL80 for the extra 10 or so pounds, 4 really, when you subtract the lead, you get almost 40% more air.

I like big steels and I cannot lie. Am I big? Am I thirsty? Don’t ask why!
I understand steel ‘huns are expensive to buy and slow to fill. I’ve been looking for a deal on a pair for a while now, they’re scarce too. I’m willing to pay for the privilege because I want deco, fatigue, and the boats time limit to dictate the schedule, and surface with lots of extra pressure. Operators using smaller tanks to get the boat back to the dock faster is ********, that’s not the way to do that. Offering different tanks is one of those extra features that separate hood operations from bad ones; you get what you pay for.
FWIW, there's a bazillion AL80's on Cozumel; tanks of other sizes and materials are relatively scarce.

OMG. There are a lot of reasons to diving (biggish) steel tanks here in Cozumel. besides air needs

I am always cold. Always. But great on air. I dive in a 7 mm suit with a 3 mm hooded vest underneath. With a steel backplate AND a steel tank. I still need 10 lbs. to descend (and I am a teeny-tiny person). I can easily get a 90 minute deepish dive with my steel 95 and ascend with buckets of air but I quit after that because I am cold. If I was to dive with an aluminium tank and my 7 mm suit (without my steel backplate and tank), I would need a zillion pounds to descend. Muchos mas if I was a big person!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom