100 Pilot whales & bottle nosed dolphins beached in Tassie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zoe83

Contributor
Reaction score
I saw it on the news last night..about 100 whales & dolphins were beached in Tasmania, it was awful to look at :( does anyone have a theory on why this happens? a mass suicide due to over population? bad currents? etc...

It happens from time to time... haven't heard of one that massive in my lifetime though.
One guarantee - pretty soon someone will try to blame it on LFA Sonar (even though it hasn't been used in years, and never near Tasmania).
Rick

Zoe83:
I saw it on the news last night..about 100 whales & dolphins were beached in Tasmania, it was awful to look at :( does anyone have a theory on why this happens? a mass suicide due to over population? bad currents? etc...

It is caused by careless humans tossing or dropping Krispy Kreme doughnuts into the ocean. They get hold of one, and they're hooked. Before long they crave the freshly made still warm ones... at any cost. Very sad.

fgray1:
I though the were smart??????

More like too smart. Their basic instinct for self-preservation frequently gets overriden by the learned desire to follow the pod leader.

Same thing happened with an aerobatic demonstration team once. Flight leader dove into the ground, and his whole wing went with him. Yuk.

archman:
More like too smart. Their basic instinct for self-preservation frequently gets overriden by the learned desire to follow the pod leader.

Same thing happened with an aerobatic demonstration team once. Flight leader dove into the ground, and his whole wing went with him. Yuk.

Was there a Krispy Kreme in the vicinity?

70 or so pilot whales beached themselves near Whangamata, New Zealand on Monday as well. Thats a fair few whales beaching themselves in a short space. Apparently when they are sick the head to shore and all the others try to help so they head inshore as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom