100' of viz and the scariest dive of my life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Made the transition from warm water to Monterey waters. Well done, now look at ya! :vintagediver:

It is impossible to dive without a DM guide in most vacation scuba spots in SE Asia, thus, divers are often trained as obediant/dependant. So it makes sense that she trusted you without fear -- you were her guide and she was trained to follow. This an important fact for you to consider, if you decide to guide her again.

Vacation scuba training in that part of the world varies . Like here-- instructors, shops, cost, make a huge difference in what is delivered.

IMO there is no way a vacation, clear, warm water diver accustom to following guides has the skills required to dive our local water. (But in all fairness our locals may not be comfortable with down currents often found in SE Asia either). Each environment has it's unique hazards.

If she continues diving here, I highly suggest she seek training or mentoring in relation to our local hazards.

I made the transition to our local diving so I know :).

Given the choice to pick one, diving warm vrs our waters, hands down, I'd choose here any day! I just got back from diving in Cozumel. 82 degrees, 100' of viz. Still I'd choose here.

:cool2:

I worked at a dive shop on Boracay for a year. The Intro to Scuba or whatever it was called was a bit of a hassle for us. I did have to hold a person's hand on a dive but it was only about 15 feet deep.
On open water courses though, we did our best to develop skills on all divers. The Philippines, although warm and clear can be very unforgiving with very strong currents, deep walls and waves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom