100% O2 @ 50 Fsw

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Any thoughts on breathing 100% O2 for 2hours at 50 fsw?

Are you serious?

PPO2 = 2.53. It also appears to exceed the the limits for pulmonary oxygen toxicity.

I doubt that this is a particularly good idea. I can't imagine why anyone would want to execute this profile outside of a chamber.

The only time you should ever exceed 1.6 PPO2 is in a chamber. I believe the British Navy at one time authorized brief exposure to PPO2s somewhat greater than 1.6, but don't try it.

While spending so time with my instructor while he was teaching an open water class at the local pool I met a retired navy diver. He said he dove in the early 60's. He was a domolisionist and they would breath pure O2 so there were no bubbles. Their limit was 30 ft resulting in a PO2 of 2. This violates all the current guides for O2 toxicity. 50 ft sounds really out of bounds.

I personally wouldn't do it.

Not only do you run the risk of Pulmonary O2 Toxicity, you are also flirting with CNS O2 Toxicity. I have heard that there are studies that show the average person can tolerate 3.0 ATA of 100% O2 in a dry chamber for 2 hours. But that's the limit.

Both the USN and NOAA have set the normal exposure limits for O2 exposure to 30 and 45 minutes respectively at PPO2 of 1.6. The Exceptional exposure limits for the USN and NOAA at PPO2 of 2.0 is 30 minutes.

Another thing to be aware of is that breathing high PPO2 for short periods of time, such as 4ATA of 100% O2 for a few minutes will result in a grand-mal convulsion if underwater.

Even in cases of the Australian type of IWR, the limit has been 100% O2 in 30 feet for 60 minutes (Type 1 DCS ) or 90 minutes ( Type 2 DCS ). Then they come up to 20 feet for 60 minutes and then to 10 feet for 60 minutes. And in these cases the divers are fitted with a full face mask delivering the O2. But this is only an emergency situation, and is NOT to be meant as the substitute for a chamber ride with a hyperbaric team attending you...

Just curious, what brought up the question?

Randy Cain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom