10 years old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll chime in. I've certified a few 10 year olds, and worked with others that just weren't up to it. The "maturity" issue is a tough one... nearly every parent thinks their kid is mature for their age, sometimes it's not the case.

Tiny kids have a tough time of it, part of it's strength, but a lot of it's other development, I'm finding the kids under 5' and 100/110 pounds or so have more ear troubles than the bigger kids. ....

My 10-yr old kid is around 70 lbs. I'm actually amazed at how well he can handle the gear. But I agree with your opinion on larger, smarter kids are better equipped to do well.

Also, the idea that a 10 yr old is supposed to rescue an adult is pretty silly. I'm pushing 300 lbs (with a set of gear) and he weighs 70 lbs. I have no illusion that he could do a whole lot other than share air, and free me from entanglements.

Just out of curiosity, is anybody out there doing the PADI SEAL program? We have our first "class" going now... they just finished "aquamission 4"... Curious to see if others are doing it and, if so... how they're doing?

SEALS take kids as young as 8... Shallow end of the pool stuff... low "task loading"... for any who aren't familiar with the program...

Also, the idea that a 10 yr old is supposed to rescue an adult is pretty silly. I'm pushing 300 lbs (with a set of gear) and he weighs 70 lbs. I have no illusion that he could do a whole lot other than share air, and free me from entanglements.

The "Dive Training" article kind of addressed this in it's recommendation that juniors actually have two adult "dive buddies" when they go out... personally I think that if you're out with an junior it's a case of "the child has a buddy... you're diving solo"...

The "Dive Training" article kind of addressed this in it's recommendation that juniors actually have two adult "dive buddies" when they go out... personally I think that if you're out with an junior it's a case of "the child has a buddy... you're diving solo"...

I totally agree. I generally dive solo and sometimes they are challenging dives. The dives I do "solo" with my son are generally pretty simple and I do not count on him to save me.

When we go it will be Me my wife and my son . It wont be adult and child

personally I think that if you're out with an junior it's a case of "the child has a buddy... you're diving solo"...

Ironically I feel the same way about a few of my dive buddies! :rofl3:

I say this in jest, but I'm also somewhat serious!

Okay, now I feel better about my previous post, knowing that others share the concern about small children diving with a single adult partner. It has long been my opinion that in adult/child dive teams, the adult was basically a solo diver with a child in tow. My concern was that if something bad happened to the adult, the CHILD then became the solo diver, a role for which most are not trained or equipped. I feel better after hearing that most parents are choosing the wise path of adding the child to a multiple-adult team. Much obliged, ya'll!

I gata give my son a test book so he can start studing No study no SCUBA

Okay, now I feel better about my previous post, knowing that others share the concern about small children diving with a single adult partner. It has long been my opinion that in adult/child dive teams, the adult was basically a solo diver with a child in tow. My concern was that if something bad happened to the adult, the CHILD then became the solo diver, a role for which most are not trained or equipped. I feel better after hearing that most parents are choosing the wise path of adding the child to a multiple-adult team. Much obliged, ya'll!

I usually go the other route, instead of bringing a third diver to the team (which brings its own set of potential problems) I require that my 10-yr old wear a pony bottle. He knows how to use it and if I have a heart attack and die and he runs out of air, I am pretty darn sure he will still make it to the surface on his pony bottle.

I try to make sure my kid is trained and equipped for an accidental solo situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom