10 ft inflatable + 7.5 hp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KD8NPB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So that's the dilemma.

avoninflatable003.jpg

This inflatable, with a Ted Williams 7.5 hp. For those who don't know the Ted Williams 7.5 hp, it's a 2-stroke, onboard gas tank, air-cooled outboard. Weighs a wholesome 37 lbs.

The perk is that they're quite inexpensive. I'm a college student who has to try to save money whenever possible.

Ideally, I'd like to push my little boat with 2 recreational divers + driver. It would get used for inland lakes and near-shore diving in Lake Michigan on calm days.

So what do you fellas think?

bad idea to take such a small craft on Lake Michigan. The conditions change so rapidly at times that you could have serious issue. I have had it change from flat as glass to 7 foot waves during the course of one dive.

bad idea to take such a small craft on Lake Michigan. The conditions change so rapidly at times that you could have serious issue. I have had it change from flat as glass to 7 foot waves during the course of one dive.

1.) Internet weather radar, it's a good idea to check conditions for the next 8 hours
2.) That's why there's a driver, to keep an eye on the boat and alert us of changing conditions
3.) It's an inflatable... they're impossible to sink. It could be 100% swamped and still not sink. However, this one is only technically rated upto 4m waves I do believe.

I do have a handheld VHF radio and life jackets too.

The Avon is an excellent inflatable. I have a 10' Achilles with a 15HP Force 2 stroke. We had 3 divers with gear in the Monterey Bay returning to harbor into the wind with small waves washing over the bow faster than we could bail. Boat completely filled with water. Gas tank and gear floating. We made it in under power.

7 HP is too small. 10HP would be border line. It would probably be OK with a 10HP. With a 7HP, you may not be able to get up on plane with two 180lb males and no gear. What is the transom rated for?

A 7HP probably safe with no gear. It will work with 2 divers with gear on good days. You will be very unhappy with the speed though.

The Avon is an excellent inflatable. I have a 10' Achilles with a 15HP Force 2 stroke. We had 3 divers with gear in the Monterey Bay returning to harbor into the wind with small waves washing over the bow faster than we could bail. Boat completely filled with water. Gas tank and gear floating. We made it in under power.

7 HP is too small. 10HP would be border line. It would probably be OK with a 10HP. With a 7HP, you may not be able to get up on plane with two 180lb males and no gear. What is the transom rated for?

A 7HP probably safe with no gear. It will work with 2 divers with gear on good days. You will be very unhappy with the speed though.

Technically, it's 10 hp at the transom, which makes zero sense, because similar boats are rated for 15.

The guy I bought it from ran a Mercury 15 2-stroke on it...there is little difference between a 9.9 hp and 15 hp anyways. Same size and weight, just a tiny bit more horsepower.

I guess I'll save up for a little beefier outboard then.

Those little Ted Williams 7.5s are attractive because of their size and weight.

Since I have no idea what Lake Michigan where you dive is like I can't comment on whether to use the little boat or not. That is not much power at all though, and you will just putt along.

We had 3 divers with gear in the Monterey Bay returning to harbor into the wind with small waves washing over the bow faster than we could bail. Boat completely filled with water. Gas tank and gear floating. We made it in under power.
Yikes! That is also the beauty of inflatables since they are almost unsinkable. I am in process of building a 3" elephant trunk setup to drain mine so that never happens. Otherwise a little power will get the bow up.

I would stay away from the Ted Williams OB. Yes the engine is air cooled, but the exhaust leg is water cooled. They are an old outboard made by Eska and use a Tecumseh engine. They are obselete, and a poor performing outboard. Parts would be hard to find and most likely would have to search for NOS parts. I would not trust it, especially on the Great Lakes. Save up and get a better outboard.

Your kiddin', right?

What do you consider near shore. With that set up, I would within paddling distance.

Although that is a cool engine. What year?

Good point. Should be within rowing distance from shore.

Your kiddin', right?

What do you consider near shore. With that set up, I would within paddling distance.

Although that is a cool engine. What year?
Very true, and two paddles make it much easier to move forwards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom