10 days diving in N. Sulawesi in Oct.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonfung

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Dear all,

I'm planning a 11D10N diving vacation in N. Sulawesi the coming Oct and Lembeh is a must-do. I am a fanatic but newbie diver photographer, looking for mid-budget options. After reading quite a few previous threads, now I am tormented on Bangka and Bunaken -- Bunaken is so well-known while Bangka highly recommended. Questions are:

a: given the time I have, passage to paradise seems impossible to do then, how do I organize it? Banaken OR Bangka + Lembeh ORRRR...any good solution combining the THREE by splitting the days? if so, any good dive operator making it a package? Even if ending up choosing either B plus Lembeh, any single operatior doing them both so that I could have a peace of mind?

b: pls pls give me some idea on the tipping, on either the mid-range or the high end resort. I really have zero idea on this.

Your comments are truly appreciated.

Simon

I think Murex goes to all 3 places. In Lembeh I would recommend Lembeh Resort. They are the only resort (as far as I know) in Lembeh that has a pro photographer on site. Sascha knows his stuff, and he can give you lessons a help you with photography.

Split between Bangka and Lembeh, there's nothing in Bunaken you won't see in Bangka, only better. Bunaken is walls and turtles, Bangka is more corals, more fish, more supermacro ; October is perfect you won't get ihit by the southern winds that have disturbed july and august stays.

Tipping : some american owned resorts advise for 10-15% of the bill, ozzies and european laugh altogether, this is ridiculous in Indonesia, the same country as Weh, Bali, Flores, etc.
Pls do not submit to these imported rates, this is not the caribbean zone.
Personally I give to my PRIVATE GUIDE, the guy who's happily doing 3 dives and spending the day with me a red colored note of 100kIDR for each day diving. As for the resort, it depends : for some of the overly priced resorts I give nothing, zilch, zero, because I figure that's enough paid so they can pay comfortably their staff, for the friendlly midrange resorts it will depend on the service, on the people, it will not be more than what I give to the guide I spend my time with, because logically I spend less time with the other staff so why pay them more?. Oh and I don't want to submit to the give to the accoms + give to the restaurant + give to the dive center thing, which I find a kind of extorsion, I am paying my time and my time is one not divided between what s the resort responsability, that includes both stay and activities.

---------- Post added August 17th, 2015 at 03:55 PM ----------

I think Murex goes to all 3 places. In Lembeh I would recommend Lembeh Resort. They are the only resort (as far as I know) in Lembeh that has a pro photographer on site. Sascha knows his stuff, and he can give you lessons a help you with photography.
NAD has always had pro photographers on site. I would reckon Sascha in Lembeh Resort is more focused on video.

Thks matt....Lembeh Resort is good as I understand it...but the price is my concern as well[emoji17]

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Highly recommend two fish divers in lembeh. Not as plush as lembeh resort but the guides are great, it's cheap and the accomm is fine. No air con thought food is good and they offer nitrox and 70mins dives. Wouldn't bother with bunaken. Thought it was boring. Bangka however I hear is excellent.

Aha Luko, I must admit that the Bangka stuff was implanted by you!:wink: and pretty much thankful for the idea on tipping. OK does this mean you'd recommend NAD to me at Lembeh? And then where to stay at Bangka? Is Aswar your favorite dive guide (if I remember the name correctly) and where is he?

---------- Post added August 17th, 2015 at 10:50 PM ----------

Oh it is weird that I have hardly heard anybody talking about Eco Divers here on this sub-forum. May I ask why?

I agree with what Luko has said (especially about the tipping! - and huge price rises) - having had friends who will probably post some more recent Murex opinions and stayed there myself, I would probably look at Eco divers a bit closer. I like Murex, don't get me wrong, but given the increase in rates I'd explore other options.
As a budget option I personally like Froggies for a couple days on Bunaken and Lembeh. I am not a photographer so a lot of what is important for you doesn't really apply to me, I'm happy just floating around looking mildly stupid.
At the other end of the budget scale I'd like to check out Gangga. Lots of great diving in N. Sulawesi. Checking weather conditions in advance seems to be the key to having the best chance of being able to hit the sweet sites Bangka has to offer.
Also agree Bunaken has a limited lifespan. Walls are nice enough but other than a few sites like Fukui and Lekuan (from memory) and Siladen Jetty not much to keep you diving for more than a few days maximum.

They are the only resort (as far as I know) in Lembeh that has a pro photographer on site. Sascha knows his stuff, and he can give you lessons a help you with photography.

Actually, NAD has had full time pro photographers on site since 2008 and has by far the largest array of material support for photographers in Lembeh. They have actually had 2 pro photogs there for most of the last 8 years and still do today

Lembeh Resort is 5 star, the dive centre Critters@Lembeh is excellent, I know Sacha likes video but he is a mine of information and can help a new photographer obtain better than good images.

I agree about the tipping, it is getting out of hand, on my recent trip to Siladen there were boxes for just about everyone who worked there, I prefer to personally tip individuals for exceptional service and that is usually confined to the dive guide but usually a couple of other staff also benefit.

If I can afford the time I will be back to Lembeh Resort next year.

If you've read through all the threads then you will have picked up the following:
1. Bangka is better than Bunaken.
2. There are probably 3 mid range accom options, Blue Bay Divers (one of the most beautiful but rustic resorts I've stayed at), Murex and Coral Eye.
3. Lembeh is amazing.
4. As for Accom you really can hardly go wrong... there are very few bad reports that come out of Lembeh.
NAD is great if you are on a budget (personally been there), Two Fish gets good reviews, as does Froggies (which from my research looks a bit more comfortable than 2Fish). If you have a bit more cash Black Sands is amazing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom