10 days and where to go??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underachiever

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got 10 days in April and need some help on where to go. We are still kinda new at this. 79 dives since getting certified in 2006. We are AOW and EAN certified. 50 or so dives in Key Largo and the others in Cozumel. Made it to Cozumel 3 times in 07 and really loved the diving and the island. Caribe Blue each time and have probably hit 30 different eating establishments. Do not need much night life but a nice watering hole to meet other divers works.

Thinking about going back to Cozumel, or maybe Saba, Bonaire, Roatan, Hawaii, Belize, Curacao. Looking for 2 or 3 dives a day and maybe a night dive or 2. No liveaboard.

Suggestions? and why.

I vote for Bonaire been their seven times last time was for two weeks. Was great. Try the Den Lamon, next to the Sand Daller, Large rooms & dive shop is down stairs a little further the dock.

Well, you've listed most of the primary dive destinations in Caribbean, except for Cayman and maybe Turks & Caicos. They're all popular so it really depends what kind of experience and accomodations you want on land, budget, maybe what is easier/cheaper for you to get to, and what sorts of dive sites you're looking for. Without knowing more I'd say roll the dice and start working your way through all of them!

I've only done Belize by liveaboard but from everything I know that is the best way to do it, though staying out on Turneffe might be the next best option as far as the diving goes. Of course, lots of people go to Ambergris to dive and are happy. There are lots of other interesting things to do in Belize but they're not really things you can do in the afternoon after a couple dives in the morning because of distance and logistics. You'd want to concentrate your diving and land activities separately.

Hawaii diving is a bit different than the Caribbean, it has lots of different critters and more chances for encounters with bigger stuff, but lacks the soft corals and color so can look a bit drab in comparison. Just be prepared for that so you're not disappointed. I myself wouldn't plan a dive trip to Hawaii, each time I've been there I was going there for another reason so of course I dove. Do leave enough time for the sights above water.

Bonaire and Curacao diving is somewhat similar, a bit more variety both topside and under in Curacao and both have lots of shore diving. In Bonaire you can stay and dive practically anyplace as it's about all centered around diving; in Curacao you have to be more choosy about your choices if you're going there to dive rather than just looking for a sunny vacation place.

Sounds like you have already done a fair share of carribean diving. Try the pacific. Hawaii is by no means drab in comparison tho the carribean. I prefer Kona to most carribean destinations I have been . Lots of topside stuff too. And the Manta night dive and black water dives are not to be missed.
If you want lots of fish, big stuff, and colorful reefs; try Fiji....

Hi Guys,

If you've never visited the ABC islands then I can recomend either Bonaire or Curacao ( I've not been to Aruba yet ). Curacao is the biggest island and there's plenty going on above and below the water. Bonaire also has wonderful diving but because it's smaller has less going on.

If you want any advice on where to dive or recomendations on resteraunts etc then let me know

Regards Tim

I would suggest either Bonaire or Roatan.
Bonaire - dive when you want, your own profile with no DM to follow, shore diving at its best, 100+ dive sites to choose from.
Even if you aren't dive dive dive animals, you will love it. Very laid-back environment with a European feel (lots of Dutch and Germans). Check out my videos and photos from 2007:
<Ron & Robin's Bonaire Trip> <>Photos

Roatan - Welcome to CoCo View Resort All-inclusive resort, very rustic and exotic feel, boat and shore dives. Check out videos on website. We have friends who go there every year, its their favorite Caribbean destination.

I think that the most important thing is for you to decide on the purpose of your trip.

A dive trip (where you dive dive dive) Coco View or a liveaboard

A relaxing trip with options to Dive Dive Dive or options to hang - Bonaire Curacao

A relaxing trip with daily two tank diving

A party trip that you may get in a few dives during the week. Cancun

Answer this question and then you have your list of places to go!

Bonaire definitely works, especially since you can get a direct flight on Delta, or easy 1 plane change on continental or american airlines! There are some great fares out there now. The weather as well as the vis is amazing in April. A perfect time to visit Bonaire!

Liz

Back
Top Bottom