10-11 and 10-12 Olympus diving trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1978davidw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We got to Morehead city on the 10th and got checked in with Olympus. Very friendly staff and they seemed top notch. Our group had 2 full day charters scheduled for this weekend. So we get on the boat that morning, the midnight express, its maxed out with 18 people on board. Crowded but manageable. Everyone on the boat is wanting to dive the u352 however the mate informs us due to weather we will be going to the caribsea. We do both our dives there. When we get back to the dock olypuses other boat had been to the u352...apparently weather wasn't an issue for them. Sunday morning rolls around and as we are leaving the harbor we get the same weather report fro the captain so we do 2 more dives within sight of the shore. I pull up NOAA weather data and the weather has less wind, lower waves than the day before. Right out of the harbor the ocean is noticeably calmer than the day before. In short I probably won't spend my money with Olympus again. I know a lot of people have great things to say about them but I do not.

It's the luck of the draw. And anyone, even an experienced skipper, can make a call that turned out in hindsight to be overly conservative. I was there for nothing more than to do a PADI Deep Diver course with Olympus, and I was pleasantly surprised that our first stop happened to be the U-352. There are no guarantees made as to what wreck they will visit. The second day the weather blew us out. You take your chances. But you don't live all that far from Morehead City--spin the wheel again and maybe you will have better luck.

Reactions: Doc
I understand there are no guaranteed dive sites but its kinda crappy to charter a 6 pack boat and when you show up your charter group has been thrown on the boat with 12 other divers...all the guys in our group have a lot of dive experience and wanted to dive some more of the advanced sites. I just didn't like the weather excuse especially when there was 4 ft seas both days and all the other charters ran offshore both days along with olympuses other boat.

I understand there are no guaranteed dive sites but its kinda crappy to charter a 6 pack boat and when you show up your charter group has been thrown on the boat with 12 other divers...all the guys in our group have a lot of dive experience and wanted to dive some more of the advanced sites. I just didn't like the weather excuse especially when there was 4 ft seas both days and all the other charters ran offshore both days along with olympuses other boat.

Okay, I didn't get that from your original post. Your group chartered the whole boat--a 6-pack? That was the understanding between you and Olympus--that the whole boat would be yours and it would be a 6-pack boat?

Also, does their 6-pack boat even go to the advanced sites? I thought only the big boats go to the "offshore" sites like U-352.

Though my personal experience with Olympus has been nothing but positive but I have heard about NC dive operators using weather as an excuse to limit diving to closer wrecks. One of my dive buddies from Florida does not come to NC to dive anymore because he says that he can only dive the U-352 so many times. In order to increase business and generate interest, I feel that they need to diversify dive sites. There is a lot more to dive in NC than Papoose, Caribsea, Aeolus and U-352.

Yes I agree cap Sinbad....I'llnever dive with Olympus again and none of the other 5 guys that went with me nor the dive shop I used will either. When you charter a 6 pack and get a bait and switch pulled on you just because their large boat was not full...not very good and despite in person complaints and the dive shop that set up the trip complaining we got nothing but a "its the captains discretion" excuse....I have since talked with other groups that chartered the "6 pack" with them and wound up in the same situation as we did. Just be warned dive at your own risk with this group.

Also, does their 6-pack boat even go to the advanced sites? I thought only the big boats go to the "offshore" sites like U-352.

Just to clarify for anyone reading this. All of the 6 packs in the Morehead City fleet (Thomas S, Atlantis IV, Captain's Lady and Tortuga) will run to any offshore sites that the larger Crew boats will frequent, and many times further, more obscure wrecks. Olympus and Discovery are both fine operations, with seasoned, extremely competent Captains.

Aside from Under Pressure and Lion's Paw that run out of Hatteras inlet, we have some of the most challenging sea conditions on the east coast. Decisions are not always based on the sea state, other factors come into play, like who is on the boat. As a Captain, whatever call you make is the right call, but sometimes you regret being too conservative. But you ALWAYS regret not being conservative enough. I have the 12 knot rule. If I can't make at least that minimum speed over ground then I do not go offshore. It just takes to long to get there and back.

Give NC diving another shot, you will not regret it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom