1 Strobe v. 2 strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nmdiveboy

Registered
Reaction score
Can someone give me an objective summary of the differences/benefits to 1 strobe v. 2 strobes?

I'm considering a DC600 or DC800 as a Christmas gift for my wife and I.

Thanks.
Robert

Two strobes will give you the ability to feather your subject with the edges of each strobe. This is important in turbid or silty water. It eliminates backscatter.

All of the above but also give a back-up if you loose one for some reason.What ever you choose I would buy the hottest strobe I could afford ....always.

Great. Thanks for the info everyone.

Any opinions on the above cameras? Have read other threads and they seem fair. Not super deluxe cameras but a good camera.

Thanks.
Robert

What ever you choose I would buy the hottest strobe I could afford ....always.
OK if you're looking for the hottest strobe you can afford, (and by this I assume you're talking about higher Guide number), then why do I keep hearing that people are always turning down their strobe in order to not overexpose their subjects?

I ask this because my budget is pretty small right now. If I purchase a strobe with a small guide number (say 16 underwater), then later add a second equivelent strobe is that "hot" enough?

Thanks,

Jerry

If you want the sharpest shots , the widest depth-of- field , especially with automatic cameras you want the highest guide number you can get. It can be turned down but none I know can be turned up .All flash shots underwater are at subjects 4' or less away .

4' or less - that's good to know.

I've got a basic photography background. Not a lot, but some. Am guessing there's going to be a learning curve I've got to expect.

Thanks all for your info.

If you want the sharpest shots ,

I would choose an aperture around two stops down from wide open.

........the widest depth-of- field........

I believe the implication here is that you must choose the smallest aperture. I believe (from what I read) when using small sensor point and shoot (automatic?) cameras, depth of field is more difficult to avoid than capture.

For details, review Wrotniak:

wrotniak.net: Depth of field and your digital camera

......especially with automatic cameras you want the highest guide number you can get.

Not sure why that would be the case with "automatic" cameras..............I believe a high guide number strobe would be more important when using a dSLR that may have a lens capable of stopping down to f/16-f/32 range. Point and shoot cameras tend to limit their aperture to f/8. imho the need for artificial light would therefore be greater with dSLR's than "automatic" cameras.

It can be turned down but none I know can be turned up .

agree :wink:

All flash shots underwater are at subjects 4' or less away .

Again, I agree..........especially if you had begun your sentence with Most :wink:

But more importantly ( i think the limit may be closer to 5' :wink: )it is also why I think that if there were an underwater strobe with an underwater guide number rating of 16 (ISO 100, feet), it would actually be adequate for a point and shoot camera.

With a strobe to subject distance of 4', and a p&s camera with an aperture of f/4 along with a strobe with a GN of 16 (ISO 100, ft), one could yield a well illuminated, sharp image, with depth of field similar to that of a dSLR set to @ f/16.

........I ask this because my budget is pretty small right now. If I purchase a strobe with a small guide number (say 16 underwater)..........

Is there really a strobe out there rated at GN 16 underwater? Check if the guide number was derived using feet or meters. Also whether the measurement was topside or underwater. There is a huge difference between GN 16 (ft) and GN 16 (m). BTW, a strobe rated at GN 16 underwater (ISO 100,meters) would be a flame thrower!

Also remember that the guide number does not tell the entire story. Beam angle, recycle time, shots per charge, user modes (how many manual settings if any, some form of TTL, possibly even "auto mode" as examples of user modes) and build quality may be just as important. In other words, there are many details to consider when purchasing a strobe, including future plans if any.

much of the above "info" being opinion......some from what i read.........along with a little from personal experience.......

hth,
b

Back
Top Bottom