1 Month (June 2014) on St. Thomas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be curious to hear of your dives and time staying on St Thomas, as I am in the process of trying to figure out where to live part of the year in the Caribbean, and the US Virgin Islands are on the short list to look into. We would like to visit St Thomas and St Croix next year and look around, to see which is the better option. Any thoughts you (or anyone else on the board) has about these 2 islands is greatly appreciated!

I want to live part of the year there too!! But seriously, Matt any updates you can provide please do. Business will be taking me to St. T at some point this summer, will extend the business to include some dive days, may have opportunities on St. Croix as well so I will be watching this thread for updates.

Welcome to ScubaBoard and to the Virgin Islands.
The best diving, is of course, on St. Croix! (The Pier is one of hte 7 Jewels of the Caribbean, and the Canyon/Wall is not to be missed!).
Just to give you a heads up, you will not get deeper than 100' anywhere within 6 miles of St. Thomas. There are loads of brilliant sights to see. St. Thomas Diving Club at Bolongo Bay does a few sights that are superb, esp. since it is on thier side of the island. Cow and Calf (if weather/wave conditions are right) is a MUST SEE. There are a few close and fun wrecks (Cartanza, Navy Barges) for entertainment. Occasionally, there are big trips out to the Miss Opportunity, Wit Con, and Wit Shoal. Those are a LOT OF FUN.
Much success and be sure to say HI to St. Thomas Diving Club, Dave, Lauren, Pam, and be sure to enjoy Iggies Beach Bar -- esp. wednesday night!

Ok folks, now that I have been here for 26 days, I have a couple of quick (full trip report when I get home) things I can report... So far I have logged 17 dives including my AOW cert dives, one of which was a night dive (Deep Mooring at Grass Key?). With my limited experience, I have found all of the dive sites to be interesting in different ways. My favorites so far have been Carvel, Congo, Calf, Cow, and best of all Arches & Tunnels. I have done all of my dives with Red Hook Dive Center, which is one of the best decisions I made on the trip. I have come to know the entire staff well, have shared meals/beers with some of them and really appreciate each person. Not a bad one in the bunch as far as I can tell. I stayed in Sapphire Village which is close to Red Hook and very convenient for a vacation stay. I'm taking a quick break transitioning from the beach to the pool so I don't have much time right now to add detail, but I will post a full trip report along with a summary of each dive/site as best that I can remember them. I have also been shooting GoPro video on that bunch of dives and will post links to those videos for each dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom