1/26-1/27 Dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brewski

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Alaska / Florida / In the air between the two.
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We met a couple of friends at the breakwater with the intention of going to Lobos on Friday. But Carrie called Lobos and the report was surgey so we decided to just stay at breakwater since it looked quite calm and we were the only ones there.

Robert and I suited up while Carrie and Deborah decided to hang back and drink hot cocoa back at the trailer. We set out along the wall, Me with the camera determined to get the lighting right for a change, Vis was about 20 feet, and I was shooting macro.

Later that night Carrie and I did a night dive, weather was still raining, but the vis was good, and we were still the only ones out. Where were you guys?

Saturday Morning Kent shows up with the boat. We load up and head out to Hopkins. Great vis. I'd say 30 ft. Kent and Carrie toured the Reef and left me to shoot away. While I'm concentrating on a nice macro of a ring snail I feel a tug on my right calf, startled I turn to see Kent laughing. so much for the shot!

Second dive we set out to find Eric's Pinnacle Damit! after we set the hook, we head out and run into... The mating amtraks. a little surgey here I found an interesting shot of two crabs together, mating perhaps? too bad my buddies stirred up the sand in front of me, if you look close you can make out the crabs.

Sunday I decided to leave the camera behind as Kent and I were going to verify a couple of locations on the GPS. We hit Aumentos as the express was pulling off. great dive! 30-35 foot vis. tons of stuff to see, strawberry anemones, red anemones, cod, mertridium, etc. and I left the camera behind! at least we know the numbers are on and next time I'm bringing it! Second Dive was the barge off of the breakwater. We hit the numbers right on. Descended on the tip of the wreck. I moved the hook over to the sand and we explored. The barge isn't very big, but it is interesting. We found plenty of blue rock fish, tube anemone, crabs. Again the camera didn't come along.

After not too promising weather reports, and rainy windy nights we actually had 3 real good days of diving.

ScubaBoard Gallery - Jan 26 2008 - Powered by PhotoPost

Nice report and photos ..... Thank you for sharing with us. We holed up in SF doing nothing but hanging out most of the weekend. Still waiting to do dive #50 .... hmphf!

It wasn't that bad on Saturday, Visibility could have been better but I don't care too much for it since I'm into sea creatures but anyways, went out with Uncle Tim on the Monterey Express to Amentos and Hopkin's Deep. Nice to see some Metridium though.

Was that the Carrie that I met outside of Glen's Aquarius II this weekend?

I was diving Breakwater for my OW class. (Well, it turned out not to be a "class," as I was the only student who showed up. Could it have been the weather?)

Anyway, I had a great time and met some wonderful people hanging out during surface intervals, including a Carrie who was staying in a trailer on the Breakwater pier parking lot.

Saturday, there was a bit of surf at Breakwater, but (THANK GOD!) my instructor decided that would forgo holding hands while walking through it and we could wade out there like men. The visibility was much better that I had been led to expect and I had no issues with water temp., my two piece 7 mm semi-dry keeping me very cozy. (Other stuff, like relaxing underwater, was a bit more challenging.)

Sunday, was a gas! The rain poured down and the wind was up. OW classes from Saturday were almost all gone. (I wonder if they postponed the last dive or two for next weekend.) My "class," now augmented by a DM-candidate intern went forward, nonetheless.

We had the Breakwater virtually to ourselves. By our second dive of the day, I only saw one other buddy team and all the instructors' floats had been long gone.

Visibility on Sunday was outstanding! And, even though the skies opened up and the wind was strong, the water was as flat as most medium sized lakes, just gently lapping at the beach. The divers scared off by the rain and wind missed out on some good diving conditions.

It makes a great story to tell folks when I'm an old, crusty diver that "back in the day, I had to walk around the Coast Guard folks filling sand bags during a storm to get to the water for MY OW dives." :)

Thanks to all the super supportive divers, both here on SB and the ones I met in Monterey.

And, if that's the Carrie I met, "Hi" from Oren.

Yes Oren that was us.

Glad you had fun considering the weather wasn't as good as it could have been. Now when you come back out and the suns shining, the waters calm and the air temp is warm. You can long for the good old days when you had the beach for yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom