1-14-09 point lobos report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KRL1973

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
1st dive:
snorkelled round cannery point, descending into 30ft. depth when kelp got too thick. Visability was awesome, could clearly see bottom from surface at est depth 35ft. Went between the rocks taking advantage of low swell and high tide, got as shallow as 12ft before we dropped into blue fish cove. Vis even better there at least 70ft vertical and about 40 horizontal. Explored some getting nice video of a male sheeps head (think I saw a female later too but she was camera shy), reached max depth 73ft. before returning. This is where we got into trouble and ended up too close to the rocks and had had to high tale it out of there, getting seperated in the process. Bobbed around at surface at the point worrying my buddy was in trouble and then learned from passing kayakers that buddy was safe and sound in whaler's cove just out of my view worrying about me.:confused:

2nd dive:
surface swam across whalers to Coal Chute, decended to 30ft and approached Coal chute point then turned crossing sandy mouth of cove and on to granite point wall area. Viz was approx 35 ft horizontal 60 vert. Found ourselves in narrow channel between 2 walls and hung around there before returning on direct route across middle reef towards boat ramp, surfaced in middle of cove but not before having a nice encounter with a harbor seal that I caught part of on video.

3rd dive:
3rd dive? I'm exhausted! After a rest and warm up (we were seeing 48 degree temps in the deeper areas) did a nice easy tour of area immediately around the boat ramp that we had low expectations for but actually had a great time and saw my 1st what I call 'fancy' nudibrach one of the ones with the feathery attatchments. Viz was actually not bad, at least 15ft. horizontal even in shallow water and plently of fish and critters to see, even found a couple big abalone tucked under a rock and had a painted greenling actually attracted to my flashlight shining on him and with me holding still he gradually hoped across the bottom coming to just a couple inches away from it :D -Alas cameras batteries where dead by now so missed getting pictures of the nudi or this greenling. Eagerly waiting to see the shots my buddy took.

-Ken

See my pics/video at: Flickr: ken_loomis' Photostream

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom