Caves north of florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There actually is one in southern GA (I think it was mentioned already) but you have to have a permit to dive it and well... very few of them are issued. Definitely not for a tourist diver.
I did notice cypress is right on the state line. Radium spring looks nice but im not seeing anything else around it, so it could be a stop on the way rather than a destination area.

I did notice cypress is right on the state line. Radium spring looks nice but im not seeing anything else around it, so it could be a stop on the way rather than a destination area.
Radium I believe is the one that requires a permit... think it actually has a gold line installed... could be wrong though.

WI mine has very restricted access.

OP, just go down to FL. There’s really nothing closer to you.
LOL Do you even have a tourism cave card? This might be a shock to you but there's also more diving than just the paquett mine.

There are caves and even cave diving in Indiana, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, Georgia, Alabama, Ontario, and Quebec. All of which are closer to Ohio than North FL
The way to find them and figure out how to dive them is to join your local grotto.

Or going northwards

Tim, no offense, but you're not fully cave trained. Many of the sites in Georgia, Tennessee, etc are not appropriate for newer cave divers. Blind T's, twisted #18 nylon line, line traps, etc are probably more common in those places. Even though you've been certified as a C1 diver for several years, and you've been dry caving for several more, until you complete your cave and deco training you probably should stick to the tourist caves. That means the common NoFla sites and some of the Missouri ones in terms of the US.

Sump diving is a completely different beast, regular cave training does not prepare someone for those conditions. Most cave instructors (myself included) lack the experience necessary to teach someone the intricacies of sump diving. If you're interested in that kind of stuff, I'd recommend working with a few guys that live, breathe and eat that stuff.

Tim, no offense, but you're not fully cave trained. Many of the sites in Georgia, Tennessee, etc are not appropriate for newer cave divers. Blind T's, twisted #18 nylon line, line traps, etc are probably more common in those places. Even though you've been certified as a C1 diver for several years, and you've been dry caving for several more, until you complete your cave and deco training you probably should stick to the tourist caves. That means the common NoFla sites and some of the Missouri ones in terms of the US.

Sump diving is a completely different beast, regular cave training does not prepare someone for those conditions. Most cave instructors (myself included) lack the experience necessary to teach someone the intricacies of sump diving. If you're interested in that kind of stuff, I'd recommend working with a few guys that live, breathe and eat that stuff.
This was NOT a question I asked.... I'm quite happy driving to N Florida for tourist caves. I have been talking to the SUMP guys here in TN but that is outside of the OP's original question. Working on my deco training right now, though have no intention of utilizing it after getting full cave.

FOCUS KEN... FOCUS contribute to the question without targeting ME.

This was NOT a question I asked.... I'm quite happy driving to N Florida for tourist caves. I have been talking to the SUMP guys here in TN but that is outside of the OP's original question. Working on my deco training right now, though have no intention of utilizing it after getting full cave.

FOCUS KEN... FOCUS contribute to the question without targeting ME.
Ken’s explanation was a value add to the thread in terms of guidance towards new or not fully developed non-FL cave divers, no?

Ken’s explanation was a value add to the thread in terms of guidance towards new or not fully developed non-FL cave divers, no?
With all the direct naming, "you" "you're" I'd say it was pretty focused on me... HOWEVER, depersonalize his post and yes it could possibly be considered informative, though not actually answering any of the questions of the OP. I don't presume to know anyones certification level, a question was asked and several people have given appropriate responses.

With all the direct naming, "you" "you're" I'd say it was pretty focused on me... HOWEVER, depersonalize his post and yes it could possibly be considered informative, though not actually answering any of the questions of the OP. I don't presume to know anyones certification level, a question was asked and several people have given appropriate responses.
Damn. Overly sensitive. Obviously Ken knows your cert history and was using that to aid the discussion. Dude didn't call you a sh-tty cave diver or a kook. Zero need to get your knickers in a knot

Damn. Overly sensitive. Obviously Ken knows your cert history and was using that to aid the discussion. Dude didn't call you a sh-tty cave diver or a kook. Zero need to get your knickers in a knot
and ALL out of context of the OP's question. I am a kook by the way.

I'm not sure where the focus on Tim comes from?

The OP is in Ohio and we don't know anything about their training/experience (at least I don't). If people want to dive outside of the North FL state park (and Ginnie etc) tourist cave universe then contacting their local grotto is the way to discover what's available. And yes they are likely to be cold (which radically alters your perspective on lost line drills), lower vis, silty, with poorly laid, loose, damaged lines, and otherwise challenging dives. Here's an example of the line mess in my local "tourist" cave.

In any case, diving outside of the tourist zone will take much more self reflection and self assessment if a particular dive is suitable for their training level and experience.
DSC_9722b.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom