New Fast-Attack Nuclear Submarines to be Named Arizona and Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

January 8th, 2005, 1142 hours, near the Caroline Islands

: There is a low rumbling which sounds to some like “God crushing a beer can,” and the ship slows instantaneously from 30 knots to 4 knots. The boat is well stowed for sea, so there are no projectiles, but every single person is thrown forward into the nearest vertical object. The people in the chow line end up in a huge pile in middle level. Rome and Litty are on the starboard side of the Diesel in lower level and they land in a heap on the deck. The OOD is thrown out of control, shouting Emergency blow even as he hits his head on a computer screen. The DOOW, Senior Chief Hager, is up out of his chair to update a status board, and he is thrown onto the ships control panel, shattering a gauge. His chair is thrown forward, breaking his leg. The Quartermaster flies fifteen feet forward and lands on the stern planesman, breaking the back of his chair. The JOOD is thrown forward onto the fire control displays in front of him, hitting his head and neck. The men in the smoke pit land on the pumps directly in front of them, except for Ashley, who is thrown forward 20 feet and hits his head on a pump assembly. Every single plate of food is thrown all over the galley. In the wardroom, one officer shoves his fork through his lip, and the Captain watches as one of the mess cooks flies over his shoulder and lands on the flat screen TV on the forward bulkhead.

The Captain is pinned in his chair, but quickly recovers and runs up to control to find out what happened. He gets there after the Chief of the Watch has already thrown the emergency blow handles, but the ship is not going up. The DOOW is back in his chair, not saying a word about his broken leg, shouting out depths. The ship has a down angle, and it is clear from indications that something serious has happened to the forward ballast tanks. Matt Priests quickly recovers from being slammed against his stateroom wall, and runs back to the ER as he hears an emergency report of “Flooding in the ER.” He knows this is the most serious situation that a ship can have, underwater, doing an emergency blow with flooding in the ER. No submarine can get positive buoyancy with the ER filling with water, and for a moment, Matt is sure that they are all going to die. He quickly finds that the report was an error, and the water is just a leak from a cracked freshwater pipe.

The Captain and Chief Hager in control are still watching the depth gauge, waiting for it to show upward movement. Finally, after almost a minute, the ship begins to rise, breaking the surface at 1143:52. The next forty minutes are a chaos of emergency reports, calls for the Doc, people trying to respond to ten different casualties, and people trying to care for injured shipmates. In shaft alley, an electrician named Brain Barnes does not know what else to do, so he holds Joey Ashley’s hand and talks to him, waiting for Doc Akin to arrive.”

Making a Submarine Officer – A story of the USS San Francisco (SSN 711) Alex Fleming

Out of one hundred twenty seven crewmen, ninety-eight crewmen were injured, and Machinist's Mate Second Class Joseph Allen Ashley, 24, of Akron, Ohio, died from head injuries on 9 January. Other injuries to the crew included broken bones, spinal injury, and lacerations. Chief Hagar and others were later medically retired from their injuries.

Twenty officers and men received awards for their actions in the crisis, including letters of commendation, the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal, and the Meritorious Service Medal.

A fun question I've seen referenced but never answered. Have subs collided with wrecks on the bottom? I can imagine u-boats in WWI and II slamming into a wreck or two among the British Isles.

Mostly submarines away away from the bottom, and if they are there it's for grounding, rather than moving along at any speed that would cause much damage if an object was encountered. Since it was a training sub, it's more likely they lost control of the boat and the other sub was hit while trying to recover. Unfortunately, they hit the sub instead of the mud bottom, which might have inflicted less damage, and made a recovery possible.

Mostly submarines away away from the bottom, and if they are there it's for grounding, rather than moving along at any speed that would cause much damage if an object was encountered. Since it was a training sub, it's more likely they lost control of the boat and the other sub was hit while trying to recover. Unfortunately, they hit the sub instead of the mud bottom, which might have inflicted less damage, and made a recovery possible.
I wouldn't be that surprised if it's happened. Subs have operated in some pretty skinny water; when I dive off North Carolina I'm impressed at the number of WWI and WWII U-boat victims (and U-boats) that are in 100-120 ft of water or less. That's not a lot of space to run submerged when you're talking about a Type IX U-boat that's 31 ft from keel to the top of the conning tower and 251 ft long. Then you've got areas that aren't just shallow but enclosed, like the English Channel or Baltic. The craziest one for me is the Allied submarine offensive in the Dardanelles and Sea of Marmara in WWI; I don't think anyone has tried making a submerged transit of the Dardanlles since.

Mostly submarines away away from the bottom, and if they are there it's for grounding, rather than moving along at any speed that would cause much damage if an object was encountered.

To say nothing of the noise it would make. Chances are, if an operational boat is in shallow water it isn't friendly shallow water.

...when I dive off North Carolina I'm impressed at the number of WWI and WWII U-boat victims (and U-boats) that are in 100-120 ft of water or less. That's not a lot of space to run submerged when you're talking about a Type IX U-boat that's 31 ft from keel to the top of the conning tower and 251 ft long.

WWII subs primarily ran on the surface, and hid submerged. Although they could dive in water that shallow, operating and diving is dangerous, which is why they are on the bottom today. At that time boats on both side were sunk while at flank speed trying to get to water deep enough to submerge at that speed with a better chance of survival than staying on the surface.

As far as submarines in shallow water, during the Cold War I made patrols in the Adriatic Sea and into the Gulf of Venice because FBM subs were carrying A2s then. We didn't run on the surface during patrol, so the dangers of a emergency dive were eliminated, but there were others.

Even today diesel boats are shaped like ships with a cover on them for surface running. Only nuc boats are shaped like turds that wallow about on the surface.

Even today diesel boats are shaped like ships with a cover on them for surface running. Only nuc boats are shaped like turds that wallow about on the surface.

Well, if one never stays on the surface, except for transits in and out of port, it's not big a problem. As for wallowing on the surface, I've never seen so many seasick mf`ers as on the ride to the 100 fathom curve out of Charleston in bad weather. Target sailors get used to it.

Well, if one never stays on the surface, except for transits in and out of port, it's not big a problem. As for wallowing on the surface, I've never seen so many seasick mf`ers as on the ride to the 100 fathom curve out of Charleston in bad weather. Target sailors get used to it.
Indeed. I was sick between NOB and Yorktown on the James. I was never sick after that, even in 60 footers.

Back
Top Bottom