Bcd for daughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most people (from my statistically meaningless observations) stuff all their weights as ditchable. At least with integrated weights, people can ditch half their weights. It is likely to be a ride, just not as bad as the Chamber Express. I don't see trim pockets commonly used. Most divers have seahorse trim/finning.
Ok. That makes sense.

I still say it’s a training/operator problem, but I understand the perspective.

I can easily remove a portion of my weights almost as easily as pulling the cord. The real problem is overweighting.

Just regular rec diving, I'm just getting her a gift certificate but when she goes to pick it out I was just wondering if there is a brand who's quality should be avoided.

Where is her rec diving? Big difference in warm water with skin or 3mm wetsuit and cold water with drysuit and thick undergarments.

Ok. That makes sense.

I still say it’s a training/operator problem, but I understand the perspective.

I can easily remove a portion of my weights almost as easily as pulling the cord. The real problem is overweighting.
In my corner of the country that has 50 degree F water, students are planted firmly on the bottom with excessive weight that is distributed in a way that makes them foot heavy. And when they go out and buy that BCD, they typically continue to use the same amount of weight. But that's a dead horse I don't wish to continue beating here.

Your weight release system should compliment how you want to dive, not dictate how you do it.
I agree. But I don’t see how the ripcord system dictates anything.
As someone who has used both standard ditchable pouches and the zeagle system, I would say hands down the zeagle system is inferior. Zeagle's system may be superior to a weight belt, but inferior to more modern systems.
I’ve used both, and prefer the ripcord. Part of it may be how I typically dive. I usually have a speargun in one hand. So if I need to be positively buoyant at the surface, one handed release of all my ditchable weight is a plus to me.

BPWs do not push you face forward on the surface if you know what you are doing and are properly weighted. What pushes divers forward in any style of back inflate is being overweighted, improper position of the weights, and over inflating the wing. Many BPW users don't use them because they look cool. They use them because compared to some jackets with unnecessary padding and useless pockets and too many d rings, it's like diving an F16 compared to a C5 Galaxy. The latter gets the job done but it's big and bulky.
The other advantage to a BPW is once it's set up, it fits the same. Every time. No pulling and tugging on straps, trying to make use of d rings and pockets where a mfg. thinks they should be, and often having to fit yourself to it with compromises as opposed to it being a custom fit.
Then you have the advantage of it being modular so if the harness gets worn, you replace 15 bucks worth of webbing. Or put a new bladder in a wing that got punctured. Not buy a new BC. Which is another reason some dive shops don't like them. Less profit.
I am having a hard time seeing that a Jacket BCD is less streamlined in the water than a BPW. When you are diving in strong current, the wing, specially if it has a big bladder, can actually act like a sail on your back. When moving against (into) the current, this can create significant drag. I have seen it many times with divers that have big bladders on their BPW's. I have also experienced it myself and that's why I don't use BPW's for these types of dives.
Of course I know that not all recreational divers use them to look cool, and I don't want to talk down on BPW's and their users. These BCD's definitely have their place and uses, specially when you require plenty of buoyancy. But I would not say that they are better than a Jacket BCD, they are just a different tool for a different job.
I agree that BPW are generally built very sturdy, but that's also why they are generally more expensive. And lets face it, how many divers are planning to do 1000s of dives with their BCD. A standard mid range Jacket BCD should also easily last many hundreds of dives. My first mid range Cressi Jacket that I bought in the late 90ies lasted easily over 2000 dives before pockets showed signs of rips.
One of my focus points when selecting a BCD is the size of the pockets (the bigger the better) and I actually like adjustable straps as they make it super easy and fast to get in and out of the BCD - at the surface and underwater. But again, this is all personal preference and the best option is to try out different models and choose for yourself what is best for you and your type of diving.

One more comment on the ripcord system.

I think I recall from some of Zeagle's marketing materials that the ripcord system came to be because the company's founders were skydivers.

Consider the skydiving vs. scuba diving analogy.

In skydiving, reaching the surface at high speed is bad. If you pull the ripcord, you deploy the parachute and slow down, becoming more safe.

In scuba diving, reaching the surface at high speed is also bad. If you pull the ripcord, you dump your weights and speed up, becoming less safe.

Where is her rec diving? Big difference in warm water with skin or 3mm wetsuit and cold water with drysuit and thick undergarments.
I'm not sure how the location matters, if the bcd is quality or junk it is the same all over.

I'm not sure how the location matters, if the bcd is quality or junk it is the same all over.

A small BC with very little lift is fine for tropical for cold water you need more lift therefore a bigger BC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom