Doubles and Bc's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks roakey and the whole point of even bothering to take the time to post the question and statement was to kinda shake the bushes and see what comes out.I am not as foolhardy as you might think judging by the way you took my damn the torpedoes full speed ahead thing but i am synical at best when it comes to peoples opinions and somethings are obvious trash and others arent.i never meant to infer that arkansas was anything other than where i live and most of my diving is not in this area if its an issue.however the statement about dumping was only asn assumption as i do not understand the concern given the equipment thing and my statement is a carryover from a conversation i had only yesterday about the thought with ashop here.it again is not my intent nor do i think it prudent for your intent to be a primadonna in the inuendo of your comments.as you will notice i never said anything except that i wanted to get some kind of feed back about the doubles issue not a dispute about your credentials.but i do treasure and accept your advice and appreciate your insight into the issue.forgive me for seeming snotty as i am not that way but who needs a primadonna when we are talking about the possibilities of life and death.thanks again and hope this forum will serve to enlighten all!

Roakey's response may have pissed you off, and I can see why, but he's really right. You're choking your chicken diving doubles with anything other than a BP/wings combo.

Use the 72s for emergency hang tanks.

Tom

thanks w/w for your help.i have 2 back plates but they are for singles and so will have to wait until momma will allow me to blow more money on more gadgets LOL.the backplates i have are for singles and so wouldnt serve the purpose.actually my intent with diving doubles is for shallow metal detecting like u/w beach combing here in fresh water witha metal detector and just to extend my loiter time in less than 30 ft. . is that an acceptable practice given the reasons for my usage for now.that is why i have done some research into the subject and hoped to get some legitimate feed back.thanks for the time you have taken to answer my query.Happy Trails for now

Just want to mention another specific problem with a Zeagle and doubles. Air in the wing pushes the tanks further from the diver, making it harder for some to reach the valves. As far as buoyancy, I doubt I could swim up my full double 104,s without a functioning bladder. The only ditchable weight I have is my light canister. The drysuit is a backup bc. The issue is'nt not wanting to ditch equipment but the fact that the rapid ascent that will occure after you do in dangerous especially if you have a deco obligation. As far as doubles and a jacket, I have seen it done but...with the equipment available today why would you? You need to have a heavy set of doubles shifting around to get a feel for the discomfort it will cause. With heavy tanks you want the +buoyancy (bladder) as close as you can get it to the -buoyancy(tanks), a wing does this. With more neutral tanks it may not be as big of an issue.

Originally posted by scubafinatic
my intent with diving doubles is for shallow metal detecting like u/w beach combing here in fresh water witha metal detector and just to extend my loiter time in less than 30 ft.
Given this application there's no need for redundancy and if I was in your shoes (flippers?) I'd just get a single 120.

If your 72s are like most 72s they've lost their + rating (not that you couldn't get it back given a good hydro shop) and only hold 65cf each. So for only "missing the mark" by 10cf (120 vs 130cf)you wouldn't have to buy a manifold or another regulator.

Roak

I think Roakey is very opinionated. The problem with the dive community as a whole, is that everyone has an opinion, and that is the only way to do business. Ordinarily I would not respond, but since some impressionable diver(s) out there may waste a lot of money, I feel I must.
1. First of all, it doesn't matter what state someone lives in.
2. Concur
3&4. You obviously have not experimented very much with the Ranger.
5. OPINION
6. The U.S. Navy divers have been diving double steel tanks (72's), and double aluminum (80's) for years with wetsuits. I do not understand your comment.
Dumping high dollar equipment...obvious...in an emergency, ditch the tanks and bc.
I do not claim to be a "Wreck or Tech diver" but I have my fair share of 300 fsw dives, and 0 visibility hull inspections.
I have been diving steel doubles and rubber suits for 19 years. I started off with the twin 72's, US divers manifold (non-isolation) and plastic backpack with horsecollar.
I purchased the Scubapro Classic Black when I started diving recreationally.
I found that a single 95 was not enough for me, so I went to double 95's with a Dive-Rite isolation manifold. I still used the Scubapro Classic. After about three years, I went to the Dive-Rite Transpac. I will agree that backplates and wings are more stable. I still have my Transpac, but have since switched back to OMS steel backplate with double 95's and the Calypso Military horsecollar BC. It has 2-38 grain CO2 cartridges in addition to the power inflator. It also floats me face up when on the surface.
I am not going to argue that it is old technology, and that there is better gear out there, but it is basically what I learned with, and still dive for work to this day.
A good dive shop will let you get in the pool with whatever gear you are considering purchasing. If they do not, find one that does. I am not dropping $400.00 + without some sort of "Test Drive". Then make your decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom