Things you are (almost but not really) ashamed of doing while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now I know you're taking the piss :)

Edit: but you're right in one way; decompression science is still fundamentally a mathematical model. More statistics really. The science is in its infancy as there's no accurate way of telling when someone gets DCI - many cases of undeserved bends.

There was a lot more to deep stops than Pyle stops. As you'll see if you read around a bit, there's pretty much a consensus (one or two "experts" aside) that deep stops aren't necessary. Look up the Gradient Factors discussions too.

Watch some of Simon Mitchell's presentations. Those are good lectures.
I have read a lot about the gradient factor and I know that GUE is a big fan. But you have to admit that there are more suggestions than proof or evidence. We are making progress but very little. We learn more about what is happening inside our body than what to do to overcome the adverse consequences. Even when you talk about silent bubbles, you have different theories and the algorithms are different.
I will look for Simon Mitchell prsentations.

I have read a lot about the gradient factor and I know that GUE is a big fan. But you have to admit that there are more suggestions than proof or evidence. We are making progress but very little. We learn more about what is happening inside our body than what to do to overcome the adverse consequences. Even when you talk about silent bubbles, you have different theories and the algorithms are different.
I will look for Simon Mitchell prsentations.

The big change was the bubble models which was all the rage a few years ago. It seems to have gone back to the Haldanian models (the original gas model) which Buhlmann "ZHL16" is the best known and had the Gradient Factors added to it to add conservatism. The discussion these days is still around which GFs to use and bubble models have gone out of favour.

Another good set of presentations is from Mark Powell who wrote "Deco for Divers" (and Intro to Technical Diving)

Another good set of presentations is from Mark Powell who wrote "Deco for Divers" (and Intro to Technical Diving)
If you read Deco for Divers, you will see Mark Powell the enthusiastic proponent of deep stops and bubble models. If you read the article I quoted, you will a Mark Powell who is coming around to the belief that some of the stops are too deep.

@chillyinCanada I know calling someone a troll is not allowed in TOS. But can we very respectively :wink: suggest that someone is trolling and ask others not to feed it?

Prior to my days as a Moderator, that very thing once got me deleted and chastised, so I'm thinking no, no we can't. :)

But now we're off topic, also deletable.

I will look for Simon Mitchell presentations.

Dody you have done more research into diving than any other new diver I know. I dive with people who have been diving a decade on their vacation dives but they do not know their sac rate, they do not gas plan, they do not plan dives on their DC's, they assume as they are not doing deco dives just follow the guide and everything will be hunky dory, they do not know about gradient factors or CNS or Surf GF or other things as their dive computers do not give them that information. Some don't even know what TTS means. Maybe you should get the Shearwater Perdix.

SB forums have a lot of information. There will be back and forth conversations with opinions cast forth. . Yes some of the things you write bring responses you may not like. Like diving to 40m depth when your dive buddy stays at 30m. Not really safe diving practice is it? Or being underweighted due to pride? I use 8kg with no wetsuit and I am not bothered by that.

I think you would be better joining a BSAC club and doing some of their courses. They take a long time. Clubs are a good environment as you are diving with people . I learnt a lot in the BSAC club I was in. Want to do Dive Leader, OK but first you need to learn how to clean the boat above and below water if not in dry dock, you will learn boating skills, you will perhaps be the diver who decided not to dive on a site because you knew it is beyond your limits. You dive with a lot of experienced and some not so experienced people in a club.

I think you my friend are like Frankie Four Fingers, always in a rush. That's how you got your DM cert so fast. Now you have to look back and assess yourself and say do you really have all the skills a DM should have? Did you get good value for your certification. Maybe do a GUE or BSAC or course with another agency. Do the TDI advanced nitrox and deco course, not because you want to do 60m dives but for the knowledge you gain.

A good link here for GF Gradient Factors and recreational diving

If you read Deco for Divers, you will see Mark Powell the enthusiastic proponent of deep stops and bubble models. If you read the article I quoted, you will a Mark Powell who is coming around to the belief that some of the stops are too deep.

Some of those deep stops would mean I am still on gassing according to my Perdix logs. I do not have any deep stops set in my DC and I trust it more than my own ability to calculate during a dive.

Brilliant and scary. Don’t worry. I won’t create a thread on Gas content with gradient factor Vs Bubble content and deep stops :). I will just continue avoiding deco dives.
Edit: I love this one in another Simon Mitchell video: [Deco divers] are just a bunch of test pilots without training .

Maybe you should get the Shearwater Perdix.
I am thinking of buying a Garmin Mk2i next week. If I am putting 1000+ on a DC, it might as well be a smart watch. Is it as good as the Perdrix?

I am thinking of buying a Garmin Mk2i next week. If I am putting 1000+ on a DC, it might as well be a smart watch. Is it as good as the Perdrix?

My experience is with the MK1; based on what I read online, the MK2i is basically equivalent in terms of reliability/diving performances, so I believe you can follow these suggestions.

If it is only for diving, don't buy the Garmin.

If you can afford a sport-watch and a diving computer, don't buy the Garmin.

If money is a problem (like in my case) and you need both a sport-watch and a trimix diving computer, you should think about it. If you do not do trimix/deco, the Garmin is overkill.

Reasons why I'm not too fond of the mk1:
often has technical issues (often! However, the warranty is excellent)
the screen is small (mk2 is bigger)
the light isn't powerful

Perdix is one thousand times better, but if you do not do tech, it is overkill as well. Better go for a peregrine, or even a cheaper diving computer (but I am biased when I suggest cheap computers - I don't like technology :) ).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom