Nitrox for shallow water artifact diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Learnt that 25 yrs ago.
Glad it was NOT you who taught me to dive in the beginning!
Well, I did my best explaining how to calculate the dive using the PADI tables, which is what I beleive what was asked of me. I assume you must believe I made grievous errors. I would be grateful if you would point them out. Pray be specific.

What is the ndl for 24ft?
I have no way of knowing this. The tables do not have a level for 24 feet. The instructions say specifically, "Any dive planned for 35 feet or less should be calculated as a dive to 35 feet."
I believe for BSAC AIR table it is about 240 mins for 9m(30ft).
I do not have access to these tables. If you do, please give the details. I would suggest, though, that if they do indeed indicate an NDL of 240 minutes (which would be reasonable), then they do not think that a dive top 30 feet has no NDL, which is what was being argued. Maybe I am as crazy as you think I am, but it seems to me that listing an NDL indicates that they think there is an NDL.

By the way, as a PADI instructor, I taught the PADI tables. If I had been a BSAC instructor, I would have taught the BSAC tables. As I indicated, both of them seem to indicate that one can get DCS on a dive to those depths.

Just remember PADI table is for PADI training. No more and no less.
No body has been saying that diving to 30ft has no ndl. It was you who have been saying to round up the 24ft to 35ft in the beginning.

As for DCS!You cannot be serious! NO diving is immune from that.
I am glad I did not learn diving rec or tec from you over 20yrs ago.

Just remember PADI table is for PADI training. No more and no less.
No body has been saying that diving to 30ft has no ndl. It was you who have been saying to round up the 24ft to 35ft in the beginning.

As for DCS!!!! You cannot be serious! NO diving is immune from that.
I am glad I did not learn diving rec or tec from you over 20yrs ago.
You haven't been paying attention. The idea that diving shallower than 35 feet has no NDL has been a prominent part of this thread; that is, in fact, the key idea I have been arguing against in my posts. The idea that diving at 1.5 ATA or shallower does indeed have no NDL has also been stated, and that one is indeed supported by science, since it is believed that all tissues can withstand supersaturation to that degree. That means a diver can likely go to the surface after any length of stay at that pressure.

No body has been saying that diving to 30ft has no ndl.

Just as a refresher:
OP posted 40FSW or less; with that in mind any dive above 33FSW there are no NDLs so nitrox would be no help. Above 33FSW the whole dive is a SS.

The nitrogen absorption above 33FSW is for all purposes zero. A SS can be anything above 33FSW, since the body is off gassing above 1ATM.
Air at 26FSW has no NDL, reason no nitrogen absorption.

Above 33FSW or 2ATMA there is no NDL so nitrox is no benefit to the OP at those shallow depths. Below 33FSW is where any benefit would be incurred.

And finally...
It was you who have been saying to round up the 24ft to 35ft in the beginning.
Yes. That is how you do the tables. Let me quote the instructions for the 3rd time:
"Any dive to 35 feet or less should be calculated as a dive to 35 feet."​

Good point. So if the OP uses 32% he can do 7 100-minutes dives a day at 25 ft.
Long day.

Ha! Yes, one would have to be really motivated!

If using EAN36 (PO2 = 0.64 ATA) or EAN40 (PO2 = 0.71), instead, the 24-hour oxygen toxicity limit is 570 min (9.5 hrs) and 450 min (7.5 hrs), respectively. So, especially be careful with these two recreational nitrox mixes for these dives.

However, multiple back-to-back days of long accumulated BT's would be a concern if using any of these three "standard" recreational Nitrox mixes for these dives, I think.

rx7diver

Despite all of the pros and cons expressed above, I'm still not taking a bath without Nitrox.

You haven't been paying attention. The idea that diving shallower than 35 feet has no NDL has been a prominent part of this thread; that is, in fact, the key idea I have been arguing against in my posts. The idea that diving at 1.5 ATA or shallower does indeed have no NDL has also been stated, and that one is indeed supported by science, since it is believed that all tissues can withstand supersaturation to that degree. That means a diver can likely go to the surface after any length of stay at that pressure.
Do not under estimate your own short coming!
I have never suggested that shallow dive has no NDL!!!! About 240 mins for 24ft dive. Period.

I hope none of your tec or rec student is reading the last couple of sentences!
Do you understand the meaning of saturation and supersaturation at all?
Incredible.

I have never suggested that shallow dive has no NDL!!!! About 240 mins for 24ft dive. Period.

Additional points of reference for shallow long duration air dives:
Jacques Cousteau's Conshelf I (Continental Shelf Station) saturation diving experiment supported 2 divers at 10 M or 33' for 7 days in 1963. Conshelf II supported 6 divers for 30 days at 10M in 1963. All the documents and films that I can remember indicate they all came straight to the surface with no DCS.

Two of the six Conshelf II divers spend 7 of the 30 days in another habitat at 30M or 100' breathing a Helium-Oxygen mixture. They did breathe Oxygen-rich mixtures at the end of the 7 days before ascending the the habitat at 10M to complete the 30 day project. I understand that Cousteau's saturation decompression procedures were provided by the US Navy's Captains (and doctors) George Bond and Walter Mazzone.

The 1963 US Navy Diving Manual Table 1-5, Standard Air Decompression Table, revised in 1955, allows no decompression for all dives of 30' or 9.1M or less. Table 1-6, No Decompression Limits and Repetitive Dive Groups list 35' or 10.7M with a 310 minute or 5 hours and 19 minutes for the no decompression limit.

There were quite a number of air-saturation habitats starting in the 1960s used for scientific work. As I recall, a few of them were positioned at less than 10M because they could not support staged or continuous decompression. The more sophisticated habitats, like the Aquarius Reef Base, supports external pressure so divers can be decompressed on the bottom, re-pressurize, and swim to the surface without stops.

Do not under estimate your own short coming!
You are not the only participant in this thread. I was replying to AfterDark, who said repeatedly that there was no NDL at those depths. You joined him in his attack on me, so you became part of that response.
I hope none of your tec or rec student is reading the last couple of sentences!
Do you understand the meaning of saturation and supersaturation at all?
Incredible.
I do understand, but evidently you do not. You are evidently not interested in learning it, either, since I have already explained the process several times. What follows is a primer for others who might be interested in learning.

1. Tissue on-gassing is not like filling a bucket of a certain size. When we breathe, nitrogen (and other gases) enters our lungs and blood and passes through the tissues. As the blood travels, some nitrogen leaves the blood and enters the tissues, and some nitrogen leaves the tissues and enters the blood. It reaches the lungs and is expelled through exhalation. On the surface before a dive, we have usually been at that pressure long enough for this process to be in perfect balance. Just as much nitrogen enters our tissues as leaves it. Our tissues are in equilibrium. They are saturated at that pressure, and they cannot take on any more nitrogen.

2. When the diver descends, our lungs take on more air with each breath, so they have more nitrogen.Therefore, the blood circulating through the body has more. The deeper we are, the more nitrogen in the blood. The blood circulating through the body thus causes more nitrogen to enter the tissues than leave it. The diver is on-gassing in all tissues. Each tissue, though, takes on the nitrogen at different rates, depending upon tissue composition and the amount of blood flow (perfusion).

3. During the dive, the faster-absorbing tissues will reach equilibrium (saturation), meaning that once again the amount of nitrogen entering the tissues is the same as the amount leaving them. Again, it is not like filling a bucket. If the diver goes deeper, those tissues will start on-gassing again. The slower tissues will still be on-gassing throughout the dive.

4. As the diver ascends, the tissues that are saturated will now have more nitrogen than the air being breathed, and they will begin to lose nitrogen faster than they are gaining it. They are supersaturated. They are off-gassing. The slower tissues will still be below ambient pressure and will still be on-gassing.

5. Each tissue has a slightly different ability to withstand supersaturation without getting into DCS trouble. If that were not true, we could never ascend. On a typical NDL dive, those faster tissues should be able to off-gas fast enough to stay within that safe level of supersaturation all the way to the surface. Research indicates that a safe level of supersaturation for surfacing will be at the pressure of about 20 feet, so a safety stop above that depth is recommended to ensure that the faster tissues will off-gas sufficiently to reach that safe level of supersaturation and allow the diver to go to the surface.

6. At that safety stop depth, the slowest tissues will still be on-gassing, but because on-gassing is not like filling a bucket, they cannot reach a pressure greater than the pressure of their current depth. That means they can never exceed the tissue pressure deemed to be safe for surfacing. Once the faster tissues have off-gassed sufficiently, the diver can surface, because the on-gassing the the slowest tissues is of no concern.

7. If a diver spent the entire dive shallower than the safe pressure, then no tissues can possibly reach a supersaturation level which will create a risk of DCS.

8. Once on the surface after a typical recreational dive, all tissues will be supersaturated, hopefully at a safe level. All tissues will therefore be off-gassing. That is the reason for a surface interval prior to a subsequent dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom