Is Miami area diving poor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil Ravlin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have enjoyed diving in the Keys (Key Largo, Islamorada, Marathon) but was wondering if the Miami metro area had some decent wreck dives. Am I spoiled already by the awesome Spiegel Grove and Duane wrecks in the keys? Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. I'll be staying in Miami soon and would love to find something close by....thanks

Miami is not known for the diving, though there are some decent wrecks. It ain't the keys though.
If you go further north to Broward or Palm Beach, the diving options greatly increase.

Yes, Tenneco is a fun dive. Any time I did them, I went out of Ft. Lauderdale though, not Miami.

Yes, Tenneco is a fun dive. Any time I did them, I went out of Ft. Lauderdale though, not Miami.

Definitely. Me too. You can actually go out to them from the north or south but they are technically off of Miami Beach/Hallandale Beach I believe. Regardless they are in the area that the OP was asking about and they are definitely worth a trip out to.

They are actually the only dive site I’ve hit in that area. They are the furthest south I’ve been along the southeast coast before Key Largo. I’ve got a buddy that dives the wrecks down there on a pretty regular basis but I’ve never dived any of them myself. I don’t have any useful information to share other than the Tenneco Towers I'm afraid.

I have enjoyed diving in the Keys (Key Largo, Islamorada, Marathon) but was wondering if the Miami metro area had some decent wreck dives. Am I spoiled already by the awesome Spiegel Grove and Duane wrecks in the keys? Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. I'll be staying in Miami soon and would love to find something close by....thanks

I like going to the Neptune Memorial from time to time. Interesting. It is shallow...still someone spotted a Hammerhead there in 2020.

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with no diving in Miami...Look up deco divers on Facebook or keydivers.com. There are army tanks and a ton of other wrecks in Miami. Lots to see!

Thanks to all for the replies. I will definitely take a look at the Tenneco Towers.

JimBlay: Be sure to check out the wrecks off Key Largo and Marathon. I can't get enough of the Spiegel Grove, Duane, and Eagle.

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom