WHERE'S THE FIRE???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The New Zealand dives sounds great. But do note that prices for a two tank dive trip are around double those typical for the places the OP has been. Our Rates - Dive! Tutukaka

If I'm reading this right, a 2 tank trip without gear rental except tanks is $259 New Zealand which is currently $187 US. Compare this to Aldora which is the high end at Cozumel at $95 for the same thing - Aldora Divers

You can charter a 6-person boat including DM in Coz and dive whatever schedule you like for the cost of 3 or 4 standard fares at NZ rates.

You get what you pay for. You're also comparing apples to oranges with regulations and labor cost. Let's be fair about Mexico, you can buy your regulations. What's the insurance coverage that the $95 dive trip operator has? How comprehensive is it? It doesn't work that way in New Zealand.

In this case, for what OP paid, he gets rushed around because time is money. Our kiwi friend here paying a little more has a very leisurely enjoyable trip.

You get what you pay for. You're also comparing apples to oranges with regulations and labor cost. Let's be fair about Mexico, you can buy your regulations. What's the insurance coverage that the $95 dive trip operator has? How comprehensive is it? It doesn't work that way in New Zealand.

In this case, for what OP paid, he gets rushed around because time is money. Our kiwi friend here paying a little more has a very leisurely enjoyable trip.
I understand local costs are higher in NZ and I'm sure that those trips are a great day out. But ”You get what you pay for" does not necessarily follow.

I used Aldora because they offer a premium service for their location. I've dived with them and never felt rushed and that price includes big steel tanks, so dives stretch well past an hour. I'll take the poster's word for it that their local diving is awesome, but Cozumel is pretty nice by anyone's standard.

BTW, insurance and regulatory costs aren't the full answer. The last op I used in the US, Starfish Scuba in Boynton Beach, charges $91 for a 2 tank boat trip.

To the OP:

I will restate what other folks suggest as a great solution - Find some buddies and go shore diving, at your own schedule. Im sure there are scuba groups, facebook scuba pages, Meetup.com in the LA area (all means that I use to buddy up & shore dive in Monterey/Carmel area).

And maybe mention that you like a leisurely pace. Some divers may be on a schedule. I will admit that Im usually trying to get 2 dives in before lunch, and before traffic picks up, so I am probably a bit like these commercial boats you're describing - LETS GO, NO DILLY-DALLYING!! Save the leisurely pace for underwater!!

But I know from experience, most of my shore-diving buddies dont share my rush, so you should be able to easily find some chill buddies.

To the OP:

I will restate what other folks suggest as a great solution - Find some buddies and go shore diving, at your own schedule. Im sure there are scuba groups, facebook scuba pages, Meetup.com in the LA area (all means that I use to buddy up & shore dive in Monterey/Carmel area).

And maybe mention that you like a leisurely pace. Some divers may be on a schedule. I will admit that Im usually trying to get 2 dives in before lunch, and before traffic picks up, so I am probably a bit like these commercial boats you're describing - LETS GO, NO DILLY-DALLYING!! Save the leisurely pace for underwater!!

But I know from experience, most of my shore-diving buddies dont share my rush, so you should be able to easily find some chill buddies.
Good point. A side benefit for solo diving is that you don't even have to worry about finding buddies who don't like to rush, or even worrying about holding THEM up.

No tides?
Nope, no tides where we are.
I used to dive the UK, there all dives are governed by the tides.

Nope, no tides where we are.
I used to dive the UK, there all dives are governed by the tides.
At the moment the only thing related to going diving is being able to read these forums.

Where you are might be my current fantasy location for a while :) Am really, definitely, honestly, will do... a decent multi-week trip to that part of the world. Must see what warm, clear, blue water diving's all about. One sees the videos and it just doesn't compare with the reality of northern European diving! But we've lots of wrecks :)

ScubaBoard: providing help and support to divers in prison lockdown since 2020...

Just clicked on some of your links in your sig: lovely. Just lovely. Here it's cold and miserable and we're all stuck at home. (OK, we've got our health and shelter, which is more than a lot of people have. But it's lockdown..)

Back
Top Bottom