What does Tek Lite mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, then I have been a trained tech(tm) diver since forever as decompression diving was part of my CMAS*** training :popcorn:
Here in Europe traditionally "light" deco diving is considered fully recreational and is taught since the first OW course by organizations such as CMAS, BSAC, FIPSAS, FIAS, etc.
The boundary between tec and rec is set just slightly above the line set by US based agencies.
Hence here it is normal for rec diving to use a compact twin set or a pony tank.
Also the depth limit for rec diving here is deeper, typically around 50m in air.
Each organization or commercial certification agency has its own rules and boundary, so there is no commonly accepted exact limit between rec and tech. Furthermore these limits changed over time, and the general tendency is to reduce rec diving to "safer" limits.
This created the space for a "grey area" between rec and tech, which is now called "light tech" or "tec lite".

I would assume they are Recreational Trimix and Advanced Recreational Trimix before moving onto Normoxic and Hypoxic Trimix courses.
I don’t believe Trimix is anywhere near “recreational”
Recreational is clearly defined in all ow classes in the US

Well, then I have been a trained tech(tm) diver since forever as decompression diving was part of my CMAS*** training :popcorn:

From CMAS Universal Standards manual:

2.1.65 “Technical diving” shall mean diving, other than sport diving, speciality diving or commercial diving, that takes divers beyond the normal limits of sport diving. It is an activity that includes one or more of the following: - diving beyond a depth of 40 meters; - any dive that requires a mandatory decompression stop; - any dive in an overhead environment with a restricted vertical ascent to the surface beyond the cavern zone - any dive during which accelerated stage decompression and/or the use of multiple gas mixtures are used during a single dive

Diving is either recreational or professional. Professional includes commercial, scientific, public safety and military diving.

Technical diving is a subset of activities within recreational diving. Divers and certifying agencies have different answers as to exactly which activities fall into that subset. I think the agencies all agree that the following are technical:
- depths over 40m,
- true overheard environments
- trimix, normoxic mixes, over 40% 02
- mixed gas rebreathers
- staged decompression

Opinions differ on the following
- "light" deco using back gas
- minimal overhead in wrecks, caves, under ice
- DPVs

And of course everyone has different definitions of where overheads become overheads instead of swimthroughs or caverns.

Also, these lines change over time. Nitrox and sidemount were once generally considered technical. I have no idea where Angelo's O2 rebreathers fit into the current training standards.

I was on the IANTD website. There is a button labeled Tek Lite and technical diver.
If you push it, It lists many courses as being Tek Lite courses, including trimix courses. Can anyone familiar with IANTD comment on what they mean by Tek Lite versus technical?
Tek Lite =15 min deco max and one or two more limits

Is it me being blind or iantd.com does not have not-lite OC Tec? Everything in Tek-Lite and technical is marked as Lite, and then there's CCR and overhead, but no I do not see OC courses beyond 51m. New trend?

Amazing how the OP asked one questions, and the discussion immediately go to another direction :popcorn:
Not a critic, actually I like it :)

I was on the IANTD website. There is a button labeled Tek Lite and technical diver.

If you push it, It lists many courses as being Tek Lite courses, including trimix courses. Can anyone familiar with IANTD comment on what they mean by Tek Lite versus technical?

See it like this:
Point A: OC, max depth 40m, O2%<40, no trimix, no staged decompression, no knowledge of decompression theory
Point B: OC, normoxic trimix up to 51m, staged decompression with any O2%, basic knowledge of decompression theory

If you click on the "tek-lite" button you will see all the trainings that bring you from Point A to Point B, plus some specialities.

Basically the tek-lite program is similar to what PADI call Tec***, or to what the three letters agencies refer as "first-level" of technical diving.

*** PADI calls "Tec" the courses up to 50m, and "Tec Trimix" the ones beyond that depth, even if trimix is part of the "Tec" curriculum.

Marketing, that's it

Diving is either recreational or professional. Professional includes commercial, scientific, public safety and military diving.

Technical diving is a subset of activities within recreational diving. Divers and certifying agencies have different answers as to exactly which activities fall into that subset. I think the agencies all agree that the following are technical:
- depths over 40m,
- true overheard environments
- trimix, normoxic mixes, over 40% 02
- mixed gas rebreathers
- staged decompression

Opinions differ on the following
- "light" deco using back gas
- minimal overhead in wrecks, caves, under ice
- DPVs

And of course everyone has different definitions of where overheads become overheads instead of swimthroughs or caverns.

Also, these lines change over time. Nitrox and sidemount were once generally considered technical. I have no idea where Angelo's O2 rebreathers fit into the current training standards.

I, personally, rather like this evaluation of "what is rec vs tech". Yes yes, the agencies may define, amongst themselves, what is what. I personally know plenty of divers who dive mixed gasses, intentional decompression, and DPVs solely for the purpose of recreation. I have no issue with their decision to do so, and I hold no opinion as to whether or not it's right. I just know that they do, and it's not my business beyond that.

This thread is not so much about what is or is not technical diving though. It's about what the term "Tech Lite" means to a particular agency. To that extent, I cannot help the OP, but I think it does bring a very valid viewpoint to this, and other discussions here on the board, in general. I think it's important to keep in mind, when we have discussions like this, that the agencies are legal entities, and they must present (and legally protect) themselves as such. I'm pretty sure we all know that, but it was worth mentioning in this diatribe.... Anyways, If a person desires to go deeper, longer, or whatever, for any reason unrelated to a pay-check, (and are aptly trained, regardless of the moniker), then they are diving recreational...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom