Scubapro S-Tek Line Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you've got the right approach and are far more intelligent than most in regards to testing things out in the pool first. I will say that I've had at least 10 more dives since I wrote my short review and I'm loving this kit more and more. I spent last week in Cozumel and the Bahamas with my Cressi Travel BCD and, boy, was I missing the S-Tek.

As far as weighting, I went through the same thing, of course. My situation is a bit more simple, though - I live in Miami and am always diving warm water, AL80s with a 3mm full or shorty. So there's not a lot of variables there. However, I did do some quick calculations and compared the weight of the S-Tek kit to my previous BCD and just figured out the difference between the old and new. That seemed to work for me right off the bat. The only change that I've recently made was to distribute the weight more evenly using the S-Tek trim pockets. 2/2 on the waist, 2/2 in the trim.

Sounds to me that if you're used to diving with 8lbs on the 100s, then you'd maybe increase that to 14lbs on the AL80 (using a 5-6lb rule of thumb). Then since the SP is 6lbs heavier than your old rig, you'd subtract out 6lbs of lead to get you back to 8lbs total. Or something like that :)
Got four dives out of six planned in Key Largo, with three deep to the Spiegel Grove and Duane and one shallow reef dive. Some rough conditions out there on the surface this week. Bottom line is I love the S-Tek. Really comfortable in the water and shuffling along the boat. Only real complaint if you want to call it that is my left shoulder strap/pad twisting while putting it on. The monprene would grip the grippy stuff on top of my Henderson wetsuit and want to flip. Not a big deal at all. Spent most of my time figuring out where to put weight. I had two pockets up high on the plate, two on the waistband and two on the cam band. For the most part I had it on the cam band. I'll continue to refine this (and get comfortable with not having much/any easily ditchable weight).

In terms of weight, it was hard to do an accurate weight check at the surface given the waves and cattle boat crowds/urgency to get down. I tried 8 and felt heavy early but good on the safety stop with 700psi left. Tried 6 later and felt better on the dive but floaty on the stop (which was done hanging on a wildly bouncing line anyway). So, more work to do but it's in that 6-8 zone as expected. Biggest revelation for me was apart from the BPW. I lost about 10 pounds of "bioprene" weight last year. I noticed in Cozumel and now Florida that I'm getting chilly in a 3mm at 76-77 degrees F when I did not used to. Getting older and less fat = colder? I dunno.

S-Tek: love the handle and quick drying, loved the trim and buoyancy control of the (or probably any) BPW in general, loved the tank stability. Minor gripe with the shoulder when donning but no big deal. I may try the waist pads on the shoulder at some point. Feeling a little guilty that my first BPW is probably an overpriced Mercedes but it sure is nice.

Finally got around to setting up my SS plate, going to see how big a deal it is to travel with before I can fall in love with it.

I have had the Zeagle weight pockets on all my plates, and the reason I haven’t been in a hurry to start using the SP is because of the hassle @lexvil had with his Zeagle pockets. Luckily it seems there are two versions and the ones I have don’t have the Velcro, just two grommeted tabs for mounting. In any case there are holes that bolt up like they were meant to be there, no hassle at all. Just wanted to pass that along if it helps anyone else.

Finally got around to setting up my SS plate, going to see how big a deal it is to travel with before I can fall in love with it.

I have had the Zeagle weight pockets on all my plates, and the reason I haven’t been in a hurry to start using the SP is because of the hassle @lexvil had with his Zeagle pockets. Luckily it seems there are two versions and the ones I have don’t have the Velcro, just two grommeted tabs for mounting. In any case there are holes that bolt up like they were meant to be there, no hassle at all. Just wanted to pass that along if it helps anyone else.
I changed everything again, the STA sort of sent me down another path, not 100% locked in yet.

Really liking the S backplate, looking to consolidate to one basic set up for local cold diving and travel so…

I‘ve put the original “pro” webbing back on, added Zeagle weight pockets with the screw tabs, the standard STA and the Alexi weight plate under the VDH wing for cold water use.

the S Tek STA is amazing but a bit wide and sits close to the plate so adding trim pockets and gaining access to them was very limited but my plan is (ordered a DGX 30 lb wing, can’t beat the price and while I was looking for more of a 20 lb wing the 30 at just over 1/2 the price won out) the idea is to use the standard STA and double bands locally, unbolt that and put the smaller wing on with the S Tek STA for warm water and the adjustable harness should switch easily to rash guard from drysuit.
IMG_8218.jpeg
IMG_8217.jpeg
IMG_8216.jpeg
IMG_8215.jpeg

For me the 5.5 lb plate will be most of the warm water weight I use, the switch over should only take a few minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_8214.jpeg
    IMG_8214.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 80
h
Really liking the S backplate, looking to consolidate to one basic set up for local cold diving and travel so…

I‘ve put the original “pro” webbing back on, added Zeagle weight pockets with the screw tabs, the standard STA and the Alexi weight plate under the VDH wing for cold water use.

the S Tek STA is amazing but a bit wide and sits close to the plate so adding trim pockets and gaining access to them was very limited but my plan is (ordered a DGX 30 lb wing, can’t beat the price and while I was looking for more of a 20 lb wing the 30 at just over 1/2 the price won out) the idea is to use the standard STA and double bands locally, unbolt that and put the smaller wing on with the S Tek STA for warm water and the adjustable harness should switch easily to rash guard from drysuit.View attachment 780637View attachment 780638View attachment 780639View attachment 780640
For me the 5.5 lb plate will be most of the warm water weight I use, the switch over should only take a few minut

the S Tek STA is amazing but a bit wide and sits close to the plate so adding trim pockets and gaining access to them was very limited but my plan is (ordered a DGX 30 lb wing, can’t beat the price and while I was looking for more of a 20 lb wing the 30 at just over 1/2 the price won out) the idea is to use the standard STA and double bands locally, unbolt that and put the smaller wing on with the S Tek STA for warm water and the adjustable harness should switch easily to rash guard from drysuit.View attachment 780637View attachment 780638View attachment 780639View attachment 780640
For me the 5.5 lb plate will be most of the warm water weight I use, the switch over should only take a few minutes.
how

how is the fit of the standard sta with the s tek plate?

Does anyone prefer the S-Tek webbing over thicker alternatives? I know Scubapro put a lot of thought into the S-Tek line, but I don't see the advantage of using thin and flexible webbing.

I'm talking about the Pure model.

Does anyone prefer the S-Tek webbing over thicker alternatives? I know Scubapro put a lot of thought into the S-Tek line, but I don't see the advantage of using thin and flexible webbing.

It’s not horrible but I switched to stiffer webbing and my own H style, really like the plate and it’s contour, even using the STA which is pretty amazing. I did use soft webbing in warm water where I only add a few pounds over the plate weight.

Hard to say as it's my first BP/W. The shoulder monprene pads and straps are comfortable and secure in the water but REALLY want to flip and twist while donning. Not sure if stiffer would help there. I ditched the waist pads earlier to free up space for pockets, etc.

Back
Top Bottom