4 Months in Prison for Breaking Quarantine in Cayman Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is what it is, but with the lawyer appealing and the social media what it is, I'd be surprised if the sentence wasn't reduced.

Called that one - down to 2 months prison time or an even less 60% of that sentence served, so 5 weeks where one has already been served.

This morning is the first time I've seen a report about this case in the national news - NBC Today (maybe because I stopped watching as much during the past year.) Interesting what info, or in this case, sentiments are presented.

These are some (most) of the things said in the report of what began as a "controversial story":

Reporter: Breaking COVID-19 protocol
Reporter: A penalty the family says is just too harsh
Reporter: The 18 year old and family are devastated
Reporter: Spending Christmas in a CI jail cell
Grandmother states, "she doesn't know what to do, she's talking about dropping out of college," "she thinks people over here are going to hate her," "we were all crying and hurt," "I don't sleep at night, all I can think of is her laying in that bed crying, cause I know that's what she's doing." "Skylar is not a bad person...."
Reporter: Broke covid laws, violating 2 week quarantine, removed tracking bracelet even though she tested negative
Reporter: Family hoping she would be back for college when it starts in January, but now it looks unlikely
Attorney: "for Mack in particular difficult for her because going back to prison."
Reporter: Family has appealed to State Dept.
NBC Today hosts: "Our hearts are with the family"

Twice, the offense was mentioned during the report and the rest of it seemed slanted toward being more sentimental that the penalty is still too harsh - nothing about the other side (being around others, no mask, etc...) that makes the story controversial. I would say though that for anyone going to CI, it does send a message about following the rules.

How many people ever get max sentences? It's very rare.
Isa there a better way to do it. Since our system is not a penal one but a correction one. it is reasonable to have options for good behavior. however the reduced sentense is for only part of the penalty and that is the confinement portion.

Called that one - down to 2 months prison time or an even less 60% of that sentence served, so 5 weeks where one has already been served.

This morning is the first time I've seen a report about this case in the national news - NBC Today (maybe because I stopped watching as much during the past year.) Interesting what info, or in this case, sentiments are presented.

These are some (most) of the things said in the report of what began as a "controversial story":

Reporter: Breaking COVID-19 protocol
Reporter: A penalty the family says is just too harsh
Reporter: The 18 year old and family are devastated
Reporter: Spending Christmas in a CI jail cell
Grandmother states, "she doesn't know what to do, she's talking about dropping out of college," "she thinks people over here are going to hate her," "we were all crying and hurt," "I don't sleep at night, all I can think of is her laying in that bed crying, cause I know that's what she's doing." "Skylar is not a bad person...."
Reporter: Broke covid laws, violating 2 week quarantine, removed tracking bracelet even though she tested negative
Reporter: Family hoping she would be back for college when it starts in January, but now it looks unlikely
Attorney: "for Mack in particular difficult for her because going back to prison."
Reporter: Family has appealed to State Dept.
NBC Today hosts: "Our hearts are with the family"

Twice, the offense was mentioned during the report and the rest of it seemed slanted toward being more sentimental that the penalty is still too harsh - nothing about the other side (being around others, no mask, etc...) that makes the story controversial. I would say though that for anyone going to CI, it does send a message about following the rules.
There is nothing here "about the other side" because, as you kindly highlighted in bold, she tested negative. She should have worn the mask in public, of course, to protect herself.

There is nothing here "about the other side" because, as you kindly highlighted in bold, she tested negative. She should have worn the mask in public, of course, to protect herself.
Due to the incubation period, a negative test result prior to and even on arrival is no guarantee that she was not still carrying the virus. My brother-in-law was exposed via a co-worker and initially tested negative 2 days later - however, he quarantined to be safe only to develop symptoms by day 13 and then test positive. So this was not about her protecting herself as you want to suggest as, until she completed her 14 day quarantine (as she agreed to do to gain entry to the island), she was still a potential risk to others.

She probably should be thinking her lucky stars she wasn’t in another country, punishment could’ve been a lot worse. She’s just gonna have to suck it up buttercup your families gonna have to come visit you.

She probably should be thinking her lucky stars she wasn’t in another country, punishment could’ve been a lot worse. She’s just gonna have to suck it up buttercup your families gonna have to come visit you.

Do CI prisons have zoom?

And quarantine for 14 days :cool:

Back
Top Bottom