Classes to be a great well rounded diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would take classes for things that I can not figure out myself. Myself in general. Those being buoyancy, navigation( not just how to use a compass, but really navigate) That means a good grasp of geometry. A very basic course of DIR,,,, to point out what there is out there to learn. beginners course of deco and computers. These aspects are probably not readily available but with the right contacts you can gain this working knowledge from a good mentor. With out a doubt,,, Nitrox and AOW just because it gives you the formal, instructor documented, exposure to >60 ft and limited visibility dives.

@mc42 and @Zef, thank you for your answers; they were in-depth.

I think @NCK is a bit far from the choice of taking a DM course or not, but I believe the discussion was fruitful in the end.

Basically, the DM course is top-notch when we speak about leadership, with the disadvantage of having a lot of training about the business which is a waste of time for people not interested in the industry.

I am every second more convinced that a DM course might be useful for people diving often with insta-buddies. Well... the cost is a bit of a barrier :)

I am every second more convinced that a DM course might be useful for people diving often with insta-buddies. Well... the cost is a bit of a barrier :)

I now plan diving vacations with 2 insta buddies who became friends One is a DM the other a PADI instructor and both only dive for the fun of it. They all live in the UK and I live in Taiwan. Our next planned vacation will perhaps be Bali if traveling is safe with vaccines available and countries can flights to them.

The "solo mentality" is something that I need to understand better. Do you mean to be self-reliant

Solo in the context of DM isn't self reliant in the normal sense. By that I mean having an OOA since you're with guests/other divers, you have access to plenty.

But as a DM/Instructor you are diving alone. What I mean is this: It's quite probable if something goes wrong your "buddies" dont' have the skills or experience to help. No one underwater is asking YOU if you're okay triggering you to check your gas etc and before someone jumps in to the check gas comment, often new DM's are so focused on their guests and actively guiding they get tunnel vision.

Pre dive, as a dive pro you need to get yourself into a rhythm. I personally get my gear assembled and checked way ahead of time (remembering to shut off the gas and vent the lines). As soon as students/guests are on the boat my focus is on them, both assisting and answering whatever questions they have or solving problems.

If you want real distraction, take a small group of 4 students off a boat on OW dive 1

When it's time for you to get your kit on (you're generally the last and don't wish to keep people waiting you want to be sure it's ready and fully checked. The reason I vent my lines (and tach my DM's to do so also) is not because of gas leaks, but simply in a rush it's too easy to forget to turn on yoru tank, seeing a SPG at zero lets you know, where as it's too easy to glance at an SPG that shows pressure and jump in with your gas turned off.

I've never jumped in with my gas off, but more than once had to turn my gas on once my kit is on my back. Distractions.

This is the main reason it's different from Tech, you're not going calmly going through a checklist with team members, so you really do need to be mentally prepared and adopt a process that allows you the time to get yoru gear sorted while giving yoru students/guests 100% focus

Unfortunately some people get their pro card and think it makes them invunerable when actually the opposite is true

What sort of inane diving must have been experienced throughout the process to make one feel invulnerable

What sort of inane diving must have been experienced throughout the process to make one feel invulnerable

Inane...good word for it.

Superficial training is what makes people feel invulnerable.

Good training highlights the dangerous variables and builds confidence through repetition of dealing with them (real or simulated) with unpredictability added in to crystallize the planned responses.

My outlook is “every dive is a training dive”. I’m either getting trained, training somebody else or training myself.

But as a DM/Instructor you are diving alone. What I mean is this: It's quite probable if something goes wrong your "buddies" dont' have the skills or experience to help.

This is so true, You do not get paid enough for the level of responsibility expected of you, when I became an Instructor [1985] the pay was OK for the time, but fast forward , How much is an OW course now? Not enough, and no one 'has your back', you are IT.
I was charging a premium for private tuition before I retired [no, had enough] and it is still was not enough recompense [call it money] for the job!
If you want to be:
A well rounded diver, dive , more time diving, don't dive beyond your training, after 25-50 dives [after basic OW] too many divers start doing more advanced dives too early ,get the time up under water, then do your homework and find a GOOD instructor for more advanced skills , If you are more advanced the above still applies, GOOD instructor and time in the water. I was going to post the courses to do in what order, but, that's up to you, what type of diving do YOU want to do? [time and money also]
What's a well rounded diver, only fat ones, that is what I thought of when I read the title.
Edit: Many typos after a 'big night' after good news.

A fair point is that we've really talked only about courses, at least I have. But there's an attitude component that I think has been touched upon that makes a well-rounded diver...

For example, in tech, we train to shut down our valves on doubles and switch to our necklace alternate [skill] as appropriate to resolve issues. I actually had a need to do this on a dive, where my inflator nipple got loose and the O-ring squeezed out in a large cloud of bubbles. Without any thought, I shut down my right post valve, switched to alternate, clipped off the primary to my D-ring, signaled my buddies, and carried on resolving the problem. It wasn't easily fixable without tools, so I just disconnected the inflator and went the rest of the dive inflating orally [basic OW skill]. The thing that amazed me was just how dealing with the problem was by muscle memory, calm, and methodical, even though I'd never had a problem like that before. That's when I realized the value of skills practice, good instructors, and good course material.

You then need to take your experiences, good or bad, and reap the dividends by thinking about what went well, and what you would do better next time - preventing the problem [check the inflator, as well as other threaded items in my gear, like dump valves, hose connections], or improving how you responded [perhaps I need to carry a wrench tool so I can totally fix the problem; or, did I really need to shut down the valve when ultimately all that needed to be done was to disconnect the inflator hose?]. This attitude of transforming each dive into an opportunity to both experience new things or practice skills AND improve yourself and others through self-reflection or buddy feedback is what I would also consider an important characteristics of a well-rounded diver.

I've never jumped in with my gas off, but more than once had to turn my gas on once my kit is on my back. Distractions.

***************************************************************************************************

Same. I've asked beach goers to turn on my tank. Embarrassing.

I know most take specialty classes as needed. But as someone that normally travels half the year and the world is closed I'm just bored. I don't live near any great diving (Monterey 150+ miles) and for the little diving close by finding a buddy can be an issue. But I can take classes just for something to do. Not trying to say don't just get out there and dive more.

Hypothetically, If you were guna take classes to make you a good/better all around diver from OW what would you take? I guess what I mean is get you up to DM level diver but without the working in the industry part. Build yourself a well rounded skills package.

As far as specialty choices. If you had to pick one that would make you a over all better diver which would you pick, which did you get the most benefit from.

I know this is kinda random but I have been thinking about what it would take to get me to a profession level of diving, not a dive professional, I have no interest in working in the dive industry.
I would say rescue diver is a worthwhile class but many of the classes/specialties up to that level are things you can figure out by simply diving and gaining more experience. (Of course, you would need to take AOW prior to taking rescue diver and need a couple specialty courses to get to that level.)

Back
Top Bottom