How long have your dive lights been used? And how do you maintain them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XTAR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Do you remember your first dive light? How long has it been used? Hope it still be in good condition. Proper maintenance ensures your dive light’s lifespan and good performance when you need it the most. There are some maintenance tips for dive lights.

Maintenance before your dive
Check if your dive light works well. Make sure the batteries still have charge. Ensure the O-ring seal is inspected, cleaned, and lubricated. And examine the lid head is tightly screwed on before going underwater.

Also make routine maintenance for light housing. Inspect if there is any damage or corrosion on the light, switch and body. It’s also important to keep the lanyard or mount in good condition. And make sure all screws and locking mechanisms for a tight fit.

Maintenance after your dive
Rinse and dry after dive. Make your dive light a good rinse in fresh water. This prevents rust and other tears caused by salty ocean water. Then, use a clean towel to dry the dive light after rinsing, don’t open the dive light until it is completely dry.

Avoid sand and dirt. Don’t place your dive light on the beach or ocean floor so that sand doesn’t get it. You can use cotton swabs to clean between all the small spaces, including the o-ring groove. Do this after you have rinsed and dried the dive light.

Check the O-rings. Make sure that the o-rings are clean and that no sand or other dirt is stuck on them, and check O-rings are greased enough but not too greasy either. This ensures the best seal in your dive light.

Remove the batteries when storing. As batteries that are unused for a long time are more likely to leak, just remove the batteries after you have rinsed and dried your dive light. And put your dive light in a dry place and store the batteries properly.

Any other suggestions? Come to add more tips.

Do you remember your first dive light? How long has it been used? Hope it still be in good condition. Proper maintenance ensures your dive light’s lifespan and good performance when you need it the most. There are some maintenance tips for dive lights.

Maintenance before your dive
Check if your dive light works well. Make sure the batteries still have charge. Ensure the O-ring seal is inspected, cleaned, and lubricated. And examine the lid head is tightly screwed on before going underwater.

Also make routine maintenance for light housing. Inspect if there is any damage or corrosion on the light, switch and body. It’s also important to keep the lanyard or mount in good condition. And make sure all screws and locking mechanisms for a tight fit.

Maintenance after your dive
Rinse and dry after dive. Make your dive light a good rinse in fresh water. This prevents rust and other tears caused by salty ocean water. Then, use a clean towel to dry the dive light after rinsing, don’t open the dive light until it is completely dry.

Avoid sand and dirt. Don’t place your dive light on the beach or ocean floor so that sand doesn’t get it. You can use cotton swabs to clean between all the small spaces, including the o-ring groove. Do this after you have rinsed and dried the dive light.

Check the O-rings. Make sure that the o-rings are clean and that no sand or other dirt is stuck on them, and check O-rings are greased enough but not too greasy either. This ensures the best seal in your dive light.

Remove the batteries when storing. As batteries that are unused for a long time are more likely to leak, just remove the batteries after you have rinsed and dried your dive light. And put your dive light in a dry place and store the batteries properly.

Any other suggestions? Come to add more tips.

Don't set your dive light down on the bottom.. because sand might hurt it? This is entirely (100 %) impractical advice to a diver. Is that really required for Xtar lights?

I think Xtar is just reminding you that sand is a potential cause for leaks if it gets on an oring, and canister lights have the oring exposed. If you set it down in sand, then open it, and re-close it without cleaning the oring, you have a risk of leaks.

I don't clean my seals with qtips, just with the hem of my tshirt, but it's the same idea.

This post is stuff most divers know intuitively, but it's appreciated that it's not pushing their stuff and is helpful information, and relatively well written.

I use Xtar batteries in some of my lights and Xtar chargers for most of my lights, and what I appreciate is that they are high quality. Low quality 18650 and 26650 cells are the bane of cheap dive lights and should be avoided like the plague. I'm not sure if Xtar are at exactly the same level as Orbtronic, but they seem nearly there, and at a good price point. Their chargers are great!

One point I want to add from experience with the D06 lights is before immersion in fresh or salt water the handle needs to be fully screwed in fully (into ON position) and the light should be controlled only with the slider. The reason is that if the light is immersed for any length of time and turned off with the twisty the lights corrode through galvanic corrosion, as current is formed from the handle to the head with conduction through the water. This is something that is not mentioned in the instructions. I posted a photo of this corrosion in another post in the XTAR forum.

When the light is dry its OK and desirable to turn off with the twisty.

Another point about this light is you need to use good protected batteries. Some cheap protected batteries cannot produce enough current and will shut off in the middle of the dive.

I think Xtar is just reminding you that sand is a potential cause for leaks if it gets on an oring, and canister lights have the oring exposed. If you set it down in sand, then open it, and re-close it without cleaning the oring, you have a risk of leaks.

I don't clean my seals with qtips, just with the hem of my tshirt, but it's the same idea.

This post is stuff most divers know intuitively, but it's appreciated that it's not pushing their stuff and is helpful information, and relatively well written.

I use Xtar batteries in some of my lights and Xtar chargers for most of my lights, and what I appreciate is that they are high quality. Low quality 18650 and 26650 cells are the bane of cheap dive lights and should be avoided like the plague. I'm not sure if Xtar are at exactly the same level as Orbtronic, but they seem nearly there, and at a good price point. Their chargers are great!

Thanks for your supports! :)

have to agree with @JahJahwarrior. I also use xtar chargers as they are widely renowned for being good quality products. Haven't bought any of their lights mostly because I already had way too many functional dive lights before I heard of them.

A little reminder is always welcome, especially when a company has enough integrity not to blatantly add misinformation in an attempt to sell something.

They may be Chinese, but they seem to be going about things the right way as far as I can tell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom