We can't blame the love boat people on this one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard that the Jeeps for rent on Cozumel have all had their 4WD disabled to discourage renters from doing this kind of stupid... stuff.
Which begs the question: Why pay more for a 2WD jeep than a car?

My son-in-law got a midlife jeep just to drive around Lubbock mostly. It spends more time in the shop than out. He spent dearly on tires, and while it does have 4WD capabilities, we can't take it offroad as AAA won't rescue there.

Hint: Let some air out of the tires.
That works. Sometimes it works to get you deeper in trouble.

I remember one evening meeting at my parents' home for a family cookout when a call came in about cattle loose, so we hurried out in two vehicles. My brother drove one, and ran along on foot, and we put the cattle back - then saw that dad had buried his Bronco in playa lake mud of an old bison waller. My bro and I hurried to farm HQ to get a tractor, drove it ten miles to the lake, and buried it. We hurried back to HQ to get the biggest tractor with extra wheels, drove it to the lake, and buried it! A thunderstorm was closing so we gave up, went home, and dreamed about seeing parts of the fleet sticking out of the water the next morning. When we got back to the lake the next day, we discovered that the rain had failed leaving high ground dry and dad had hired a county road grader to come out with a cable. It still took several tries over many hours as the cable eyes were pulling apart. I carried the wrenches to repair the cable, retreating on pull attempts in case the cable snapped, then rushing in to repair the eyes each time. The grader was using everything it had, twisting its body left and right to vary traction, and after several tries finally pulled the biggest tractor out of the lake bed, then the smaller one, and easily the Bronco. We spent the rest of the day washing lake mud out of the tractor wheels.

I have heard that the Jeeps for rent on Cozumel have all had their 4WD disabled to discourage renters from doing this kind of stupid... stuff.
They never had 4wd.

I love when idiots get bogged on the beach and have to pay outrageously to get pulled out.

Hint: Let some air out of the tires.
I made good money during college pulling tourist off the beach with my Chevy K5 Blazer...what a beast that truck was...

Virtually any Jeep you'd rent almost anywhere is the cheaper 2WD version. True 4WD Jeeps cost a small fortune to rent because they know what people are going to try to do with them. I don't know of any national rental company that rents true 4WD Jeeps... Have to go with local boutique/specialty car rentals to get one.

Which begs the question: Why pay more for a 2WD jeep than a car?

That works. Sometimes it works to get you deeper in trouble.

I remember one evening meeting at my parents' home for a family cookout when a call came in about cattle loose, so we hurried out in two vehicles. My brother drove one, and ran along on foot, and we put the cattle back - then saw that dad had buried his Bronco in playa lake mud of an old bison waller. My bro and I hurried to farm HQ to get a tractor, drove it ten miles to the lake, and buried it. We hurried back to HQ to get the biggest tractor with extra wheels, drove it to the lake, and buried it! A thunderstorm was closing so we gave up, went home, and dreamed about seeing parts of the fleet sticking out of the water the next morning. When we got back to the lake the next day, we discovered that the rain had failed leaving high ground dry and dad had hired a county road grader to come out with a cable. It still took several tries over many hours as the cable eyes were pulling apart. I carried the wrenches to repair the cable, retreating on pull attempts in case the cable snapped, then rushing in to repair the eyes each time. The grader was using everything it had, twisting its body left and right to vary traction, and after several tries finally pulled the biggest tractor out of the lake bed, then the smaller one, and easily the Bronco. We spent the rest of the day washing lake mud out of the tractor wheels.

Reminds me of the day we managed to get the backhoe, the cat and a gravel truck all stuck in a bog. The backhoe was first, then the cat trying to pull the backhoe out and then the gravel truck ran out of fuel on a very steep incline backing down to attach a cable to try to pull everything out. Was low on fuel so what little was there was at the wrong end of the tank. Was a very expensive tow bill to winch everything out. The only good thing was that we recovered everything, we later found out that the bottom of the bog was deep enough to lose both the backhoe and the cat.

Reminds me of the day we managed to get the backhoe, the cat and a gravel truck all stuck in a bog

This could be the lead-in for so many jokes, stories, legends, apologies...

Reminds me of the day we managed to get the backhoe, the cat and a gravel truck all stuck in a bog. The backhoe was first, then the cat trying to pull the backhoe out and then the gravel truck ran out of fuel on a very steep incline backing down to attach a cable to try to pull everything out. Was low on fuel so what little was there was at the wrong end of the tank. Was a very expensive tow bill to winch everything out. The only good thing was that we recovered everything, we later found out that the bottom of the bog was deep enough to lose both the backhoe and the cat.
I don't think that this playa had any deep spots. Just sticky lake clay.

We leased a 10 section (10 square mile) ranch below the Caprock of the High Plains when I was in high school - most of it in one piece with no cross fences and covered in mesquite, buying the feral cattle on estimate, and got to learn a new way of cowboying very different from what we used above. The sandy bottom creek bisected the large part and we learned from the locals to carry a large, flat rock in the Bronco so when we got stuck in quicksand we could jack the vehicle up, then place thick sticks under the wheel for traction.

Virtually any Jeep you'd rent almost anywhere is the cheaper 2WD version. True 4WD Jeeps cost a small fortune to rent because they know what people are going to try to do with them. I don't know of any national rental company that rents true 4WD Jeeps... Have to go with local boutique/specialty car rentals to get one.
When you rent a Jeep on Coz as you leave the rental office you need to ask them how to get to Punta Mola.

When you rent a Jeep on Coz as you leave the rental office you need to ask them how to get to Punta Mola.
ec0cc9c37c10f3f8a80b6909c618224d.jpg
I still wonder why pay more for a 2WD jeep that's not allowed off road?

Since most 4wd Jeeps stay on the road as well, the best answer is “looks cool”. I park next to a lifted Jeep with a snorkel, winch, and some sort of flat black bed liner like paint. It’s the daily commuter for an orthopedic surgeon. My old boss drove a Corvette at 55 mph on the highway. Did he sport the Corvette club varsity jacket? Of course he did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom