Deep 6 Eddy Fin - Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc, my % comparison might break down here :wink:. The OMS are more like the SP Jets in terms of size and thrust. They are rather wide and move a lot of water. I do sometimes use a flutter kick or modified kick (and frog kicks and every other kinda kick there is) and when doing so they tend to run into each other, but the frog kicks are excellent and strong. The Mares fins, IMO, are the most powerful regardless of kick style, their length can be a negative in close quarters but in open water for reef diving, pushing my camera and dealing with current they are still my preferred fin. But, let me hopefully get these new Eddy fins in the water with SCUBA gear, not much for diving opportunities for me in the immediate future, maybe in September. I do plan on the Eddy fins rotating in now to number two position displacing the OMS in my dive bag. We will see if they take over from the Mares in due course.

What tech fin is the best for a wide foot and rock boots? I wear Altama OTB Maritime Assault boots (lots of rocky shore entries) in size 11 wide.

What tech fin is the best for a wide foot and rock boots? I wear Altama OTB Maritime Assault boots (lots of rocky shore entries) in size 11 wide.

I currently wear the old inside laced OTBs in 10.5 EEE in XXL OMS slip streams have worked great for me since 2000. Though my OTBs are worn out I have planned on trying out the new deep6 rock boots with the eddys.

I wear size 10.5 shoes, use 5mm ScubaPro booties, and the size L fits me pretty much perfectly.

Something I have noticed about fin fit: It seems like a lot of people judge fin fit by whether their toes reach the end of the foot pocket. I have had people tell me that their toes were jammed into the end of a foot pocket, so they needed bigger fins.

This is just my opinion, but I think that is backwards. I think if your toes are hitting the end of the foot pocket, the fin is too big. Specifically, the opening of the foot pocket is too wide and/or too tall. It's letting your foot slide too far forward into the pocket and that's why your toes are hitting the end.

I judge fin fit by how well it fits in the width and height, not the length. I want my fins to be very snug around my foot so that my feet don't wiggle in them at all, in any direction. I think my fins all fit me very well because they don't wiggle at all, and they are just a bit difficult to pull off after a dive. And, my toes don't touch the end of the foot pocket.

If a fin gives someone a blister, that suggests to me that it might be rubbing right there. Which suggests that it MIGHT be a little too loose, allowing it to wiggle and rub. Not for sure, of course, without actually looking at the specific person, fins, etc..

As a result of my observation of others and how they judge fin fit for themselves, I am very reluctant to take other people's word for how a certain size of fin fits a certain size of foot.

And please don't take this as critical of anyone in this thread. These posts just sparked thoughts from a number of people I have interacted with.

In this particular case, I would ask @cerich and go with his recommendation on size.
How much margin do you have in size L with 5mm? Would size L fit 7mm booties with sole comfortably in your opinion?

How much margin do you have in size L with 5mm? Would size L fit 7mm booties with sole comfortably in your opinion?

I think so. I have some ScubaPro 6.5mm booties I have used in the past. I *think* the Eddy fins fit over them with a decent fit.

But, I also think it depends on the specific person's foot shape and the specific boots. 7mm booties are found in a variety of thickness and width of the sole. It would not surprise me to see a size L fit over 1 person's 7mm bootie, but be too tight over another person's, even though they wear the same shoe size.

I recently got some very thick soled 6 mm booties that came nowhere close to fitting in my large Mares quattros. Just got the Eddy in an XL and they fit great, might be a little snug over a 3-4 hour dive though. Only time will tell. I have a solid 10.5 foot, but booties are a 10 (no half sizes and didn't want the loose bootie blisters).

Back
Top Bottom