When is a C-cell not a C-cell. . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I'm (trying) to replace the batteries in my Ikelite strobe (DS125), because the old battery pack (SAFT) had two dead cells. So I found these nifty 4200 mAh Ni-MH batteries on eBay, they look good and were a snap to solder together, but I just couldn't get the assembly to fit.

It turns out, they are 0.89 mm larger in diameter than the SAFT(s) and just will not fit the housing.

ARGH!!

The best thing about standards, is that there are so many to choose from. :banghead:

I remember there is a sub-C cell battery. Don't remember the specs on it. I thought it was shorter?
That's what I thought this was going to be about.

There are also issues with some 9V batteries. How square or rounded the corners are.

Yeah, I made this mistake once. You can't get the highest capacity cells as they are to large in diameter. It think about 3400 mAh is the max I found that fit.

The cells are indeed "Sub C," not C. But like you said, too many standards--you need to measure the cells to confirm the diameter, because you can get a 5000mah cell that is 23.33mm diameter, or a 4200mah that is 23mm diameter.

It has been years since I did this myself, and I do not have the receipt handy to see which cells I used, but I want to say I had to use 4000 or 4200mah. It's a tight fit, it was a little difficult to reassemble. My rebuilt pack is still working very well, but the switch lost its detents, and it is a little tricky to get it set to exactly the right spot for "on."

I have 6 or 7 nimh packs, only one rebuilt by me, but I do have one that is dead and needs to be rebuilt, and the remaining ones work, but they are starting to show their age. But they are all very old, I'm impressed at how well they have lasted. It would be great to get a ton of cells and get someone with a battery welder to help me make the packs, spend a day rebuilding everything...

Maybe I can help.....

20200811_104128.jpg

That's why I like 18650s. They are done by size.

18mm diameter, 650mm long.

By the way, after I rebuilt a few packs on my own I found that the Batteries+Bulbs chain of stores would build battery packs. They rebuilt a couple of my Ikelite packs for about $30 each. This is almost what it would have cost me in parts, not to mention that they did a better job with proper spot welding of the cells.

By the way, after I rebuilt a few packs on my own I found that the Batteries+Bulbs chain of stores would build battery packs. They rebuilt a couple of my Ikelite packs for about $30 each. This is almost what it would have cost me in parts, not to mention that they did a better job with proper spot welding of the cells.
upload_2020-8-11_10-51-18.jpeg

So I'm (trying) to replace the batteries in my Ikelite strobe (DS125), because the old battery pack (SAFT) had two dead cells. So I found these nifty 4200 mAh Ni-MH batteries on eBay, they look good and were a snap to solder together, but I just couldn't get the assembly to fit.

It turns out, they are 0.89 mm larger in diameter than the SAFT(s) and just will not fit the housing.

ARGH!!

The best thing about standards, is that there are so many to choose from. :banghead:

You take a hammer and flatten them out to fit. Be careful not to break the skin of the battery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom