Deep Air VS CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wanted to get an estimate on dives that are done below 130 feet. What percentage of those in your observation are done on CCR and what percentage on Deep Air - no helium? Since no official numbers may exist, peoples individual observations would be a huge help. Thanks.

why?

I think it's going to be too location dependent to get any meaningful data.
You won't see any deep air dives in cave country any more, all on trimix and usually on CCR.
Conversely if you go to somewhere like say Truk where helium is extremely expensive and hard to come by, you'll see a LOT of dives done on deep air with the CCR use increasing.
Etc etc. for every location

I dive CCR exclusively so I don't have any excuse for diving deep air, except sometimes I enjoy the buzz

Between my closest buddies and I, we can account for at least 100K dives deeper than 130' with no helium in the last 50 years.
Several hundred on OC mix and less than 100 CCR. In my extended friends helium use is more prevalent but the guys I've actually dove with not so much.
I have 0 interest in ever getting a CCR unless it becomes legal to spearfish on them where I'm at.

Between my closest buddies and I, we can account for at least 100K dives deeper than 130' with no helium in the last 50 years.
Several hundred on OC mix and less than 100 CCR. In my extended friends helium use is more prevalent but the guys I've actually dove with not so much.
I have 0 interest in ever getting a CCR unless it becomes legal to spearfish on them where I'm at.
Damn, how much do you and your buddy dive?
At 50k dives in the past 50 years that is 1k dives below 140ft per year, that is insane.

To stay a bit on topic, I don't know any diver around here who does air deeper than 140ft, and a very large majority of the people who do venture deeper than that are on CCR.
OC tech divers are a dying breed here, and I am dying with them for now.

I haven't dived a CCR, but for many years I was making at least 50 deep air dives per year in the 160-200+ range. It's been a few years since my last deep dive, but if I found something worth seeing I would likely do it again.

I wanted to get an estimate on dives that are done below 130 feet. What percentage of those in your observation are done on CCR and what percentage on Deep Air - no helium? Since no official numbers may exist, peoples individual observations would be a huge help. Thanks.
It is more common that people here would like to make you think. Unfortunately helium is very expensive for OC. Like always doing an s drill or definitely being able to do a shutdown, actual practice lags ideals.

In the U.K. I’d guess half the 50m plus dives are CCR and mostly on helium, past 70m even more so. With gas density concerns agencies are allowing more helium sooner and shallower too. When travelling helium is not so easy to obtain.

My progression started with AN/PD on air to 150' Did that several times.
Switched to CCR, He starts with anything that might come close to 100'. Take that down to 200'
I have done 150' CCR on air, once. Too thick. won't do that again. I'm more willing to do 100-150 OC air than I am CCR air. The difference between you moving the air through the loop and a regulator blowing air into your lungs does matter.

i used to teach alot of exstended range courses not so much up to 3 years ago now with the price of helium im getting more calls for them........all of which i turn down , im a ccr guy

Damn, how much do you and your buddy dive?
At 50k dives in the past 50 years that is 1k dives below 140ft .

"Buddies" 400 per year per person on average, average age is 50+ with only a few in their 30s. A couple started spearfishing commercially in their teens. Some are just hardcore rec divers going out every doable weekend and occasional weekdays. Living in the SE US this is very doable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom