how to neatly fold up a backplate webbing for travel/storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Backplates are really nice for travel, because it's just a thin piece of metal, but I don't really have a consistent way of folding up the webbing in a reasonable manner, and the straps always seem to be all over the place, taking up more volume than seems necessary! Does anyone have a "standard" way in which they fold up, maneuver their webbing so that it takes up less space and packs more nicely? Pictures might be worth 1000 words in this case...

I typically pull the whole thing out and leave only the crotch strap attached. I leave the D-rings on one side for reference so I don't have to spend as much time adjusting things after reassembly.

I pack neatly but have accepted the unruly nature of stiff BP webbing. I pack my BP last and with shoulder straps down without any preparation. For me, removing cam bands or coiling my waist belt wouldn’t provide enough advantage to make it worthwhile.

So twist it all up and lock it off with your waist belt and buckle so it doesn't drag on the ground
all except for one of the shoulder straps so you can still carry the entire mess on your shoulder

You decide which strap

full.jpg

or a neat package like this sort of, see the handle

full.jpg

Storage is on a wall

I was on a dive one day, heavy picnic benches abounded, and at one of them was a freshly minted
divemaster, a huge save a dive toolbox with his regs apart, and his head animatedly jerking around
to see who was watching

his own gear and 1 second from jumping in he had to be tackled back to a seat by observant staff
his tank unnoticed by him was dangling by the hoses almost behind this 50 something guys knees

Here's part of the boat

full.jpg

Excuse me 2airishuman, by the time you undemolish all your stuff is the sun still up

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom