Do I need a pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me it was kind of a curvilinear thing over time (low perceived risk, then high perceived risk, then low perceived risk), and maybe you will have a similar experience.

I never even thought of using a pony for my first 30 dives as they were all shallow dives, I did all dives with the same trusted buddy/friend, I was not concerned with the risk of equipment failure as it was never really covered in my certification course so not on my mind, I was using rental equipment and naively assumed it would always be in good condition, was always diving with a guide, and was able to do a CESA from about 50 feet (thanks to years of playing sax).

At that point, wanting to dive deep with some comfort, I did AOW. Between that and discovering SB, my awareness of the risks increased and I started thinking about redundancy. For my next 20 or so dives, I started diving in one location trying out several dive ops, and while I was getting familiar with each op regarding their approach to safety, buddy procedures, group size/DM ratio, condition of equipment, quality of briefings, etc. I started carrying a pony on deep dives, and generally glad I did – mostly due to my instabuddy experiences, and in once case the condition of the equipment.

Over time I started to get totally comfortable with how several dive ops I now go with managed their dives (which is not to say there are not a lot of other great ops here on island), bought my own equipment which I check/inspect and service regularly, and stopped using the pony. The only time I use it now is if I do a shore dive with someone I’m not totally familiar with dive-wise, or if I planned to do a 100+ ft rectangular dive profile.

It says you have less than 24 dives. If that is so, I would suggest you get a few more dives and then decide. Join a club and borrow a pony from someone or rent one and try it in a pool.

I have a 19 cu ft pony and almost always dive with it. Out of the water it is additional weight you have to carry if you shore dive. In the water I hardly notice it is there. If you fly with it, there are more considerations about it being empty for flight and maybe having to get a VIP before getting it filled at your destination.

I've never had to VIP a pony after traveling by air (valve was off). Of course, I always deliver the pony with the valve in place when I ask for it to be filled, and I always fill with air. The only time I was ever refused was in NZ. NZ has yet-one-more tank certification agency and shops there cannot accept a tank with only a DOT or TC registration number (the poor sod's also need to get a hydro and VIP every year)

Im a few years from having my girls diving with me....once that happens I will absolutely carry one.
Fantastic! Clear thinking. Here is the place to make mistakes, on SB. I'm not implying that you did, BTW. I'm just saying that it won't take long to find out you screwed up on this board. :wink:

Two more points (slightly off-topic) about diving with kids. I started diving with my son. I made sure that he ALWAYS had more gas than I did. One day I found out just how stupid that was. I was faced with a choice due to disobedience, he wanted to see something and had plenty of air while I'm going into the red. ALWAYS have gas for more underwater time than either of your girls. Never take your eyes off of them. Their dive, not yours.

Solo diving sounds 'edgy', but I see it as the exact reverse. It is all about self-discipline. If/when you start diving with a pony, remember that it is a pony and nothing else. AIR belongs in a pony and nothing else. You clip it on (or however you choose to rig it) and KNOW what is in it. Period. You want a stage bottle too? No problem, buy one (and all the issues that come with it).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom