The unfortunate tale of a place where everybody knows your name

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Comrades, let me tell you a tale, learn and tell your kids.

See this: Mask name

So, I got this habit of displaying my name on the back of my mask to be identifiable in the waters to my instant buddies, whenever it happens (I prefer solo). I don't know if you ever got in a situation where a person you are to dive with looked unique on the boat but underwater among the other divers you can't pick him out? Well, I just wanted to make it easier for people.

The unintended side effect has reared its ugly head. After a winter and spring of not diving, I go back to the dive operator and everybody remembers my name. Hi, Alex, here, hi, Alex, there. Thing is, I don't know their names. So, I am greeted by my name like 6 months after not seeing people and all I can respond is, yeah, hi, ehhh, you. The sad, sad failing of mine. It is like an episode of Cheers where Norm has amnesia.

Ha! This is my life every day. Regardless of how long I've known folks. Names are my nemesis.

You should try being "NetDoc/The Chairman". People I've never met know me or know of me. The pressure is intense.

I was expecting a dismal story about Facebook..

Caveat, my License plate says "NetDoc". I've been stopped by three cops and approached by two others. Actually, one cop stopped me for a traffic violation, but let me off with a warning.

You should try being "NetDoc/The Chairman". People I've never met know me or know of me. The pressure is intense.

Wait, you're Net Doc? OMG, can I have your autograph?!?!?!?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom