Recomendations for Regulator and Wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTuna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone,

I'm about to head out to buy a 5 or 7mm Wetsuit and Regulator. Wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a good quality version of each and what they might cost. I thought my dive shop told me about $400 each, but when I looked online, they seemed to be cheaper. I'm all about being loyal to my LDS, but I also don't want to get ripped off and I'm not sure what level of quality was for the cheaper ones I saw online.

Thanks for the info. That was helpful. I thought I saw them online for around $200, but wasn't sure about the quality. It's also possible that I misheard the prices when talking to the guy from my LDS. I will try to support them first, since they've done a lot for me.

Regarding regs... others have pointed out in the past that there is no such thing as an inadequate modern reg for recreational diving. The worst of what's new, is still just fine. So in your shoes, I would determine what I want. Then price check online, and then give your LDS a chance to come close. Only you can decide on what is "close enough" to the online pricing. Just don't forget to include some value from the relationship with the LDS in your calculus.
My advice is always worth what you paid for it, so there is that....
Respectfully,
James

Hey everyone,

I'm about to head out to buy a [...] Regulator. Wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a good quality version

Quality is dependent on application.

With every regulator you can breathe. Some of them are cold water certified while others are designed for light weight for airplane travel.

I assume that with "regulator" you mean a first stage, two second stages, some hoses and a submersible pressure gauge. They all add to the cost. Get something that you can get serviced.

If you are shaped in a manner that allows you to wear standard sizes, the Deep6 7mil wetsuit is a fantastic deal. They are badass.

deep 6 is good value for money. only time the major brand regs can be even close is when they run the free octo promotions.

I dive a seac 7mm semidry I love this suit. It was around $350. But I saw it as much as $500. Price is variable to say the least. I anm diving that suit to 40 degrees. But I've got a tolerance for the cold. Size is not flattering. I.am 210 pounds and 5" 10 and the suit is an xxl. As others have pointed out. Regulators come in different varieties. I dive a Mares MR12 at 33 degrees with no issues. Dive safe

You can easily get a good 5 or 7mm wetsuit for less than $400. Try on a bunch and find one that fits well.

Regulators often cost more than $400 for the whole shebang. As others have said, they're all pretty good; you should get a brand your LDS can service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom