Embarrassing and/or clever diving stories.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to tell someone else's story here... A couple guys I know were working on their divemaster mapping project and took one of the guy's boat out to the site they had selected. The went to set up their gear and one guy had left his entire gear bag in the trunk of his car!

How you forget everything, I have no idea.

Rachel
I may have told my DM story before on this resurrected thread but--
Assisting on my first OW course, one of the other DMs there asked me to try to find a dropped weight in 3-4 feet of water, since I was already geared up. I figured I had time for that before the class I was with (there were 2 classes there) started the dive. I realized that I had completely forgotten my weight belt when I tried to descend to look around. I came out and my instructor asked where I was going. Said I think I blew an o-ring and had to go to the car and switch tanks. I put on the belt there out of sight -- no one the wiser.

Then there was the time a few years before that when I went for a shore dive in Connecticut and was walking in the water when I realized I wasn't carrying my fins, which were back on the sofa in the trailer in N.Y. Thought "what am I gunna do now, walk the whole dive"? Fortunately over on the beach side some lifeguards lent me fins.

Ok my checkouts for sidemount cert: So we were doing a mixed dive for training instructor and myself in sidemount other student in back mount doubles (he was doing intro to tech or whatever PADI calls it). We were about 70-80' deep and it is air share time I watch other student do share with Instructor and watch instructor clip off long hose trapping it under tank bungie while stowing hoses now no quick way to provide air. I see my moment to swim up Instructor and proceed to take my turn at the air share drill.

I decided I would go full on panic OOA so with wide eyes, I spit my reg, slashing OOA motion, the whole 9 and watch my Instructor scramble to provide air with his trapped longhose the whole time watching me "die" in front of him. I kinda blew the act when I decided to save myself.

After that we all took better care stowing hoses after drills.

When I started diving, I read this site by the hour to learn as much as I possibly could, since I didn't know many divers to dive/practice with. On one thread there was a discussion about safety when doing boat dives. One poster mentioned bringing a bottle of water with you to be kept in a pocket and a sausage in case you ever get left by the boat. From that moment on until a few months later, I truly believed that divers carried a chunk of sausage to eat with them when they went diving in case of being forgotten by the boat. I laughed when someone showed me what a safety sausage really is. In my defense, I thought it was the worst idea in the world, to be lost floating in the ocean left to eat the saltiest/ non-nutritious item possible.

That's gas!

Back
Top Bottom