Quiz - 2 - Diving Knowledge Workbook - Diving Physics

Divers are most affected by what form of heat transmission?

• a. Conduction

• b. Convection

• c. Radiation

• d. All the above are equally important

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course they're talking about when you're diving-- for Pete's sake
Things like heat stroke while waiting on a boat in a wetsuit in the sun are very real concerns for divers and are very much issues with radiation and convection.

Things like heat stroke while waiting on a boat in a wetsuit in the sun are very real concerns for divers and are very much issues with radiation and convection.
I understand that (and have often experienced being hot to the point of sweating a bit in my farmer john). We just disagree on the clearness of the question-- When I read this 11 years ago there was no doubt in my mind they were talking about when some one was in the water diving. I guess it could have been spelled out.
Heat stroke can also happen to someone who has nothing to do with being in a wetsuit and diving.

way to think globally! The way you put it, radiation is definitely disproportionally more important
Radiation is important when your body is surrounded by a medium which is transparent to infrared radiation (air).
But water is almost entirely opaque to infrared, hence there is no radiation exchange underwater...

Radiation is important when your body is surrounded by a medium which is transparent to infrared radiation (air).
But water is almost entirely opaque to infrared, hence there is no radiation exchange underwater...
I understand that. I think @couv jokingly was implying that “divers are most affected” by radiation from Sun, just like anybody else on Earth, as without this form of heat transfer the water would be in the solid state and the planet would be a chunk of ice in space. I took it as a joke as it is a cute way to think outside of the box and I replied rather jokingly. :wink:

a. Conduction

Conduction refers to the transmission of heat via direct contact. Convective and radiant transmission of heat are relatively unimportant to divers.

Back
Top Bottom