Advice on used HP100s, I think 7/8" neck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the age of steel tanks is not an issue. used tanks are very unlikely to be in such bad shape they are unusable unless if they have been abused with wet fills for a long time. the valves are likely fine also if you are just going to use them as singles.

converting your regs to din is a relatively small cost and hydro/vis is just the cost of having personal tanks. i have a pair of these same 7/8 tanks and have been very happy diving them for years.

I appreciate all the advice. I am still unsure what to do and leaning towards passing.

The issue is that even if I get the tanks cheap, I will have to travel to get them, pay for Hydro/VIS, risk them failing or try to negotiate with the owner to hydro them first, pay for valve service or potentially new valves, and convert both of my regs to DIN. When all of these additional costs are added they are not as cheap as advertised, and at the end of the day I still have 32 year old tanks.

If I already had DIN regs I would probably go for it. I know this is a minor issue (I should have gone DIN from the start), but its enough of a barrier to make me hesitate.
That's too bad
They are great tanks although I have never liked the angled valves.

I guess it depends on what the price is, but consider that modern HP100s with convertible valves typically sell used for a couple hundred each give or take. Hydro should cost about $25-30, which you have to do every 5 years on any tanks, and VIS should only be about $10 or less. So if these tanks are like $50 each that's a steal. If they're around $100 that's still a very good price, and if you like 100s, it's worth the risk. If they've been pressurized with decent dry air for several years, chances are good they'll pass hydro no problem. You might need to get them tumbled, but that's not a big deal. You can easily rebuild the valves and they'll be good to go for a long time. Without abuse they should last decades, maybe getting rebuilt every 5 years at hydro. (Although I have valves with at least 10 years on them without any maintenance)

The DIN thing is no big deal either. Assuming you're using these as single tanks, you need to simply get a DIN conversion kit for one of your regulators or buy a DIN 1st stage. Again, it depends on the reg, but SP DIN kits are around $40-50 I think, and you see them on auction sites frequently.

Just found some Ford parts for my Chevy

Nothing fits but they were a bargain, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom