Backplate weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TuckerIdaho

Contributor
Reaction score
New England diving (mostly 5mm/7mm, occasional drysuit)

Trying to decide between the normal Mares stainless backplate (4lb approx) and the heavy backplate (8lbs approx). Anyone have any thoughts on it?

My terrible understanding of the optimal buoyancy calculator puts me at needing 24lbs of lead in a 7mm wetsuit, or 17lbs of lead in a 5mm. So wouldn't it be in my best interest to dive the heavy backplate to reduce the amount of lead I'm strapping on?

As long as you don't plan to ever travel with it, the 8 lb plate will simplify your set up and be more comfortable overall.

The only downside might be that you are stuck with an extra four pounds of non-ditchable weight to bring the surface if you have a catastrophic dry suit flood, and you were using a wing too small to compensate for it because you were using your dry suit as buoyancy, or your wing gets torn at the same time. I'd say the odds of that happening are less than 95%.

The heavier plate is what you'll want, most likely. It does increase the amount of non-ditchable weight but given how much weight is needed for NE diving you should still be able to ascend in emergencies with no problem. Just ensure that your wing has enough lift.

The plate will reduce the amount of lead you have to carry, which means less back/hip pain and easier carry of gear. Putting it in the backplate also distributes the weight a little more around your body instead of all ~20 lbs right at the waist.

If you travel for diving as well to warmer waters, it will hurt you more in the luggage weight though. I get around it by rigging up two separate plates (one aluminum, one steel) and harnesses and just switching my wing and weight pockets based on where I'm going. So far my Al plate has been able to snooze in the closet though.

Yes, go with heavy, also read up on a balanced rig concept to give you an idea on weighting/wetsuits and depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom