Aqua Safari Pier Accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My condolences to Paulo's family, friends, and coworkers.

Serious question and maybe an answer from someone involved with construction/architecture. If the rebar in both arches was rusted and had deteriorated, what does that say about the rebar in the piers. Would this rebar be better protected from the elements, stronger, etc? Thanks. Mods, please move if necessary.

The civil authorities did come to Barracuda and took pictures, inspected the debris and even cut off the protruding rebar. It was very obvious that the rebar and concrete had deteriorated and was rusted.
Rusted rebar would be a bad sign, but then rebar acquires a thin layer of rust before it's even delivered to a site, much less encased in wet cement. I'd have to see how deep it went to have an opinion. Now had the concrete deteriorated? Can you elaborate?

If the rebar in both arches was rusted and had deteriorated, what does that say about the rebar in the piers.
As I mentioned above, all rebar will have a rust coating; it depends on how deep.

There is an old Florida Keys tale about a contractor who built several concrete buildings after a hurricane, but freshwater was not available so he used saltwater in his mix. Those did not last long.

We are here now and diving with AS. They are being very stoic and, unless you know what happened (and can say a quiet word with the staff) you would never know that they have lost one of thier family. They are being incredibly professional in what is obviously a profoundly difficult time.

We are here now and diving with AS. They are being very stoic and, unless you know what happened (and can say a quiet word with the staff) you would never know that they have lost one of thier family. They are being incredibly professional in what is obviously a profoundly difficult time.
Hello Shawn,

I was in Coz this past February diving with AS--have dove many hundreds of times with them over the years. May I ask you to convey my condolences to the crew: Mariano, Walter, Miguel or any of the skippers? They are all in my thoughts and prayers. My name is Elaine Brown (from Toronto, Canada).

Hello Shawn,

I was in Coz this past February diving with AS--have dove many hundreds of times with them over the years. May I ask you to convey my condolences to the crew: Mariano, Walter, Miguel or any of the skippers? They are all in my thoughts and prayers. My name is Elaine Brown (from Toronto, Canada).

Will do, Elaine.

Back
Top Bottom