Was it the Right thing to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL task over load? He didn't have to look for a buddy, navigate, watch a clock or even the depth .. just stay above the the DM and he was even told when he needed to go up.. only kidding sorta.

I see what you are saying and it made it relaxing for me. I monitored my air frequently and kept on an eye on the DM and that was about it. Pushed record and carried the stick with camera around to capture what I could. I may drop the camera on some dives in the future but part of the fun of diving is watching the videos over and over when I get home, showing them to my kids etc.

Once more quick question for the newbie. how much do you tip on a two tank dive like this? I gave the captain 20 bucks but not sure I that was right, wrong, cheap or too much. The two dives and all gear was probably around $120 US.
$10 a tank is a good rule of thumb.

Out of more curiosity, which dive op on GC was this with? I've found some there tend to be a bit more attentive than others.

On my very first boat dive (70+ feet) my "experienced" buddy (husband of the instructor who was conducting an AOW course also on this boat) left me to chase lobsters. There were several other divers around, so I just hooked up with them. Eventually "joe" found me. Yes, I could have called it and ascended the 70 feet.
You did what I most likely would've done. It can be debated endlessly if that was the right thing to do.
On my very first post OW dive at Vortex Spring, FL I did the 20'+ dive with no buddy-- SOLO! Plenty of other divers all over the place (and in the water). I was too shy to just walk up to strangers to ask to join them. Seemed pushy to me. My only problem was my tank slipped once. The next solo dive I did was after dive #75, and I continue doing that, but rarely below 30'.
It's all about risk tolerance and ability to be self sufficient.
With scuba we all set our own rules (other than specifics a boat requires) and try to be prudent.

how much do you tip on a two tank dive like this? I gave the captain 20 bucks but not sure I that was right, wrong, cheap or too much.

Tipping is by it's very nature, optional. There's no such thing as too little or too much, the crew will be grateful for anything they get. There are no rules, just like in a restaurant, someone might think 15% is just fine, others will feel they were cheap if they left 20%. You don't have to leave anything and I've been on a handful of dives where the service was subpar, little to no briefings or offers of assistance loading or unloading my gear and no money went in the tip jar. There's been dives when I've had some unexpected but much appreciated assistance such as some sort of gear issue and I'll tip more.

The vast majority of my dives will be between $5-10 per tank depending on service and it's ok to use an odd number such as $7 if you're feeling sort of middle of the road about it.

Read through the thread but I'll just comment on GC. Haven't been to GC in 3 years but dove with two different ops at that time. Both had pretty much the same procedure (different from the previous times we were there) in that more than 1 DM went on the dives, we went down pretty quick after entry, played follow the leader for about 25 minutes, and were able to use the rest of our air under the boat while the DM's of one op went back to the boat to help people out and the DM's of the other op stayed down with those who continued their dives. Divers of both ops could come up when they were ready. Although I had a dive buddy with me, I don't recall any pre-dive pairings. Some divers went up in pairs and some by themselves. My buddy and I separate quite a bit in good viz water but keep an eye out for each other. I personally just try to be sure I'm close to someone which could include the DM.

About 2 months away from next trip to GC, so I'll get to see what's up with the op(s) I dive with.

Regarding tipping, I wouldn't worry too much about the amount. There are several older threads that you can read on SB and get all sorts of opinions.

The vast majority of my dives will be between $5-10 per tank depending on service and it's ok to use an odd number such as $7 if you're feeling sort of middle of the road about it.

I pretty much go by this. Might add that the 2 ops I dove with last in GC both had tip boxes for each staff member in their shops, so you didn't have to dig for cash to give to someone on the boat.

I would like to congratulate you on being a new thinking diver. Should you have thought things through a bit better on those dives? Yes but you posted here and in the back of your head you knew things that happened were not right.

BTW, the DM was horrible and was not doing his job. If it is not a drift dive, you wait until all divers are ready and descend together. Just my 2 bar.

Keep diving! I highly recommend a dive computer because like others have said, following a DM blindly without any idea of your NDLs is not safe. A great starting computer is the new computer put out by @Deep6Gear . For the price, you simply can't beat it. Get one, thoroughly read the manual and then go dive the crap out of it.

Welcome to the board and feel free to post any and all questions. You can learn a lot here.

@Calmseas,

As others have said, you did really well. @Esprise Me gave you excellent feedback. About the dive computer, I'd personally recommend the Deep 6 Excursion, as it has Buhlmann ZH-Lc16 with 3 conservation settings that you can set based on the various DCS risk factors that apply to you.

You are demonstrated a level of thinking and awareness ahead of your experience. I'd recommend also looking into Gareth Locks' Human Factors in diving (Human Factors Skills in Diving - Home). Really good stuff.

Just keep diving, pursue high quality training, and always ensure that if separated, you can handle yourself.

My one comment is that I cannot believe that dive computers are not standard equipment with rental gear in the US and Caribbean. From what I see, in Australia and South Pacific, you get a computer with your rental gear.

PS I will do another comment, I would probably have done the same as you, even with the number of dives you have done (4,201 less dives than I have now).

OP you did good during your dives and now post dive you are doing a good job of analyzing the dives and seeing the "mistakes" made. You got excellent advice and seem eager to accept it.
You are thinking for yourself, you are on your way to becoming a diver!

There was 100 foot visibility so there were divers all over as we descended and perhaps my buddy was in there somewhere but I had not idea where she was.

This is right in line with my experiences.

You meet your new dive buddy for a few minutes before the first dive together.
You're both standing on deck, in full daylight, concentrating on signals and making a dive plan.

Moments later you're both underwater with the whole group of divers.
At depth colorful wetsuit panels turn dull.
Face and hair are obscured by mask and hood.
Body size and shape are hidden under BCD and weight systems.
Now you see them horizontally, with fins on, making recognizing height and other physical characteristics difficult.

And you're supposed to pick your buddy out by memory from a group of six to twelve other divers?

Sometimes it's simply impossible.

K.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom